Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

check power train error coming on when given it some stick

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
i get the error come across the screen and it runs like its on 2 cylinders or done a head gasket whenever i almost floor it. then i turn the car off, and on again and it idles and drives perfect as long as u dont give it a bit.
its an ex fleet exec wagon on duel fuel, 115k and ive only had it 2 weeks, shortly i was gona change all filters and oil and sparkplugs, maybe coils and o2 sensors as well???
also it made no difference which fuel it was on, and it runs flawlessly on both fuels.......until u tramp it.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Its a Crank angle sensor fault , check your Harmonic Balancer too the rubber centre may be partially torn out , when you floor it the engine calls for full vacuum advance but if the crank angle sensor isnt working properly theres no vacuum advance happening......

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its a Crank angle sensor fault , check your Harmonic Balancer too the rubber centre may be partially torn out , when you floor it the engine calls for full vacuum advance but if the crank angle sensor isnt working properly theres no vacuum advance happening......

i think i remember someone on here mentioning that the crank angle sensors arnt on the harmonic balancer on vz's

shozzy

"Licked by janitor"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive 3.6
it might pay to check the coil pack... mine used to miss fire when i'd floor it, then go back to normal, after a while the misfire just stuck till i got a new one.

shozzy

"Licked by janitor"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive 3.6
easiest way to find out is get a mechanic to read error codes or check your self with the trip computer...

richie83

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with my car, which has developed over the last month or so. Initially when I gave it a bit of a squirt, check powertrain message came on and the engine idled like crap and got an awful 'stutter' at cruising revs. After an engine restart it went back to normal and the error went away. Then last week, same again, gave it some squirt, warning came up, engine was rough, except I restarted my engine the warning wouldn't go away, but the engine was running ok. It took about 5 more restarts over the next couple of days to clear the error.

North City Holden wanted to charge me $130 (Automasters and Ultratune wanted $75) for the privelege of checking it, so I bit the bullet and bought an Elmscan5 unit and I'll check it myself, after the first time it's paid for itself, just waiting for it to be delivered. Hoping its an oxygen sensor as they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Someone else mentioned it might be the harmonic balancer/crankshaft sensor, are these easy to replace?

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have the exact same issue with my car, which has developed over the last month or so. Initially when I gave it a bit of a squirt, check powertrain message came on and the engine idled like crap and got an awful 'stutter' at cruising revs. After an engine restart it went back to normal and the error went away. Then last week, same again, gave it some squirt, warning came up, engine was rough, except I restarted my engine the warning wouldn't go away, but the engine was running ok. It took about 5 more restarts over the next couple of days to clear the error.

North City Holden wanted to charge me $130 (Automasters and Ultratune wanted $75) for the privelege of checking it, so I bit the bullet and bought an Elmscan5 unit and I'll check it myself, after the first time it's paid for itself, just waiting for it to be delivered. Hoping its an oxygen sensor as they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Someone else mentioned it might be the harmonic balancer/crankshaft sensor, are these easy to replace?
yeah well its my missus car and as u descibed is what happened to it, it got worse and wouldnt go away, then it would after 2 days and so on...... anyways changed all 4, O2 sensors tonight and i took it for a spin and gave it to it, and its fine, felt a tiny bit of kangaroo jumping when accelrating past 60km at one stage but, still hav to do plugs and the rest of service hopefully on the weekend.
walker brand sensors, made in U.S.A off ebay for 110 for the backs and 145 for the fronts each. 22mm spanner to change, very fiddly on the front ones wish i had smaller hands.
would be very interested in how that scan tool works, let us know how u go.