Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

check power train error coming on when given it some stick

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
just took it for a spin then and it hesitates bad on gas especially during takeoff but flick it to petrol and its fine, might have to take it to ezygas or something im thinking.

shozzy

"Licked by janitor"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive 3.6
how do u check with the trip computer?

i think when using the trip computer it only show's "major" problem codes. But i seem to remember pressing the "mode + up + down" keys in some order and you get into the diagnostic mode where you can check engine temp, digital tacho, fuel readings and voltage meter as well as "problem codes"

richie83

Reaction score
The error came up again today, again under heavy acceleration, after being good since my last post. Guess I'll be taking the plenum off again and swapping the coils over to check it out.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
my father in law has had the same sorta issue with his ex cop vz sedan. but on long trips it would cut out at 1/4 tank to start with and than 1/2 later on aslo the check engine light would come on and loose power than cut out. he also has extended crank for it to start. we finally pulled the tank out and found the lines in the mra unit to be fine. bit the bullit and bought a new fuel pump and fitted it to ther old mra uni tfor $89 came with new hose and looks just like the orignal pump and line. now its been 2 weeks and no problem, hasnt done a trip yet but im confidant its fixed.

i have also had issues with timing chains cams manifold gaskets etc etc etc.

richie83

Reaction score
I think I'll try coils first before anything else. At least they are easy to swap over and test (although expensive to replace).

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
you do realise you have to take the manifold off to get to the coils

richie83

Reaction score
I sure do, I've taken the manifold off 3 times now, can get it off in under 10 minutes, so no biggie.

samvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
richie83
Any luck. Ive got the same problem and i dont feel like paying a dealership/service centre hundreds of dollars just to find out what the problem is, let alone fix it....

richie83

Reaction score
Just an update. I finally got around to checking my coils. Whipped off the manifold this morning, swapped coils on 1&3, then took it out on the highway and gave it a flogging, error came up. Got home, checked it; whaddya know, the error was now on cylinder 1.

Went and bought a new coil ($117 - could have purchased off eBay but there were only sets of 6, and I only needed 1). Swapped it over and now shes purring, gave her a very good flogging and no error at all. Plus it seems my fuel economy has gotten better, which is an added bonus.

Next stop is changing over the rotors and doing a service on her.

Hopefully this info helps someone next time they get a check drivetrain error when giving it some stick :)