Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

circuit breaker vs fuse

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Currently sick of blowing 50-60A fuses, I don't often keep any spare, so it's a pain in the arse!

Once every now and then if i have my stereo cranked and start the car, the fuse will blow :(.

I bought a 60A inline circuit breaker to replace my fuse holder and will see how this goes!

Anyone using a circuit breaker instead of a fuse? Opinions?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Circuit breakers are quicker to reset, but really you shouldn't need to be reseting anything if your system is installed properly and has no issues.

I use fuses because I trust them over circuit breakers.

What size power cable do you have?

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Only 8GA, I realise it should be 4GA but it only blows if i have the volume cranked and WHILST starting the car.

When i upgrade (second sub, new monoblock, maybe new headunit) i'll just run 0GA.

It's only blown twice since i had the system installed in early march, so not a frequent thing.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
This is just a wild shot in the dark, as electronics isn't my best subject. But what are you using for the +12V remote power line. I thought that whilst the starter motor is engaged the car stopped power flowing to accessories. If you amp is still recieving power whilst the starter motor is engaging your electrical system may be 'spiking' and blowing fuses. Again I may be wrong.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Well not necessarily spiking but as the voltage falls to crank the car the amp draw increase's to the running amps.

I personally wouldn't continue on this path of popping fuses/CB's as you will damage the amps as they are not clearly being supplied with the appropriate volt/amps.. Re-do the feed/s and always over estimate the max draw from the amp/s, plus I would consider at lease one cap to help regulate a stable volt/amp!!

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
(1) the voltage drops on start-up and the amp + devices in your car have to pull more current, My 1st guess is that your alternator is not up to the task of running all the accessories in your car this is why you are blowing your fuses.:bang:
(2) My 2nd guess is the gain setting are set too high ! wind it back a bit,
get a multi meter and mach the gain to the correct voltage from HU output :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Gain might be too high :) I think the headunit voltage output is 2V, (Alpine Electronics of Australia) Will check this out tomorrow! It's hard to get into my boot as I'm a fat arse and my amps are only accessible via crawling right in there. haha.

The battery is OLD (4+ years), Pretty sure i could use some 4GA or bigger wire, though.

Maybe i'll pull out the multimeter and check the voltage drop, i have had some minor headlight dim which i believe may be my battery. Probably more like the 8AWG cable, or alternator, though.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
mate it will be your wiring. I have had 2000 WRMS for the subs and 500 WRMS to the speakers and it has been fine with shitty old battery.

What wiring have you done for the negative?