Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] Cleaning VY air conditioning evaporator without removing dash

r3b3lw0lf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Excecutive S2
Where abouts are the drain holes for the aircon hole located on VY?

I noticed that my mates car pours out water when aircon is running, when mine runs, it gots nothing coming out.
So wanna do what this thread is about.... PLUS, drain my holes aswell :D

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
Just had our VY gas filled up and it ran perfect for a couple weeks now it's gone back to the state it was in last summer with fan blowing not as strong and virtually no cold air coming through. If the evap core was blocked like in this post, could that be the cause or would it having run perfect for a couple of weeks mean that it's most likely something else? The line coming in just before (EDIT: going out just after) the TX valve isn't cold either where as a week ago it was like ice. Any ideas? Still gonna follow this post and give it a clean out tomorrow in case. Blower has already been cleaned and so have the vents but didn't know I could get to the evap core without pulling the dash. Awesome post and thank you for sharing :)

Last edited:

davidnasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vy
I'm such a idiot, I accidentally slipped and drilled into the a/c evaporator, is this what they call the heater core? I could hear gas coming out for around 5 minutes any advice would be appreciated. here is a picture of the damage could this be easily fixed or does it need to be replaced.

Attachments

• 131rad.png
    131rad.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 538

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That's the evaporator core which forms part of air con unit

Ya punctured it so gas escaped.

You either fix it by full dash removal and replace it and heater core whilst or no air con.

davidnasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vy
how much would I be looking at to get it replaced? would it be wise to replace the heater core as well? anything else u could recommend getting replaced as the dash has to be removed.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

davidnasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vy
ok thanks so much for your help mate, one last question does that mean I have no aircon what so ever? will I still have hot air?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
From my recent experience, you do not have to drill a hole to clean the evap core on VY (wish I posted this before hand...sorry davidnasd). All I did was remove the blower motor resistor and I could get in there with my phone to take photos and also a trigger nozzle hose to clean it all out. Occasional pic to see how well the cleaning was going. Worked a treat. All the wet grit came out through the air con drain hole.

This might be a daft question but are we only meant to clean the left side of the evap core? (EDIT: There are 2 sides to a core but only the left side is visible and accessible. I don't mean just half of the left side lol)

Our VY air con is pretty much all sorted now. Had some swollen seals on the compressor and the TX valve also had an issue. I guess this was because the air con wasn't used for about a year while the engine was out? Not sure. Anyway, thanks to the dye for showing the issue. New compressor, TX valve and dryer. Re gassed (another $130) and all good. Pulled the blower out again as it got a bit noisy but it's happy again now.
Full air con system doesn't seem to be at 100% like it was a few years ago. I'd grade it at maybe 70% of what it use to be. Is this common? Could this relate to only cleaning one side of the evap core? Blower motor runs fine and all ducts are clean.

Last edited: