Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk when braking

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I've got a clunk mainly from the front right of the car when braking, I've had my partners uncle looking under the car numerous times (day one he thought it was the radius rod bushes -had them replaced and nothing) I've had almost bushing under the front possible to replace. and also had the steering rack replaced.
It feels like the same clunking I had with my Ford falcon (that was upper control arm bushes though and it was obivous to notice), But it's not as bad as the ford, it doesn't feel like the wheel is moving.

Ive had, K frame replaced, castor rods replaced, had brake pads replaced, link pin kit done, steering rack and radius rod bushes. and thats all I can think off...

I hate the local mechanics and told me everything was fine so I give up with them.
What could be doing this? how could I check it? cheers

edit: Wouldn't be misfitted brake pads would it?

Last edited:

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
How about the balljoint?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Check inner castor rod bushes, and check that the calipers are bolted tight to the strut

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
i looked at a mates vu yesterday about this! no wheel movement and clunking when braking, it turned out to be the arm that comes from the power steering rack, not sure what its called :S lol

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try this - engine running, brakes on hard...select D...then select R...repeat a few times whilst someone looks at front wheel for movement.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
i would think strut top mounts need replacing

Anyway of checking??

Check inner castor rod bushes, and check that the calipers are bolted tight to the strut

Would I be able to see if anything is abnormal? like cracking and whatever.. Ive looked at them and seemed find, Tried moving the castor rod back and forwards and no knocking.
I'll check that out.. I think it might be brake related.
Cheers

i would think strut top mounts need replacing

Anyway of checking if its bad?

Try this - engine running, brakes on hard...select D...then select R...repeat a few times whilst someone looks at front wheel for movement.

Tried looking out the window when the clunking occurs (going at a slow speed and applying brakes is enough to do it) Yeah Ill have to try that. What'd be problem if there is movement?
cheers

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
I had this problem to. Ended up replacing the strut tops both caster rod bushes, sway bar bushes and link pins. That got rid of it.
They all looked rooted to. So it was a good idea..

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I had this problem to. Ended up replacing the strut tops both caster rod bushes, sway bar bushes and link pins. That got rid of it.
They all looked rooted to. So it was a good idea..

Well, Struts and brakes related are prob the last thing that'll need replacing. Ive had the outer castor rod bushes replaced and no difference, Think the sway bar bushes are good.. Think the linkpins was replaced when the steering rack was done.

Yeah. so I recon either brake related or strut related atm.

and your usertitle is so true haha.