Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk when braking

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Its not brake related.
Sway bar may look fine but the hole could be clapped out.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just out of curiosity. does it only make it when braking. or when going over bumps aswell?

and is it more of a knock?

if it is it could be a whole range of things (ive got similar problems) and have nearly replaced the entire front end (vs) trying to find it =P
take a look at this and see if it may help
phoenixmechanical vr commodore suspension

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
just out of curiosity. does it only make it when braking. or when going over bumps aswell?

and is it more of a knock?

if it is it could be a whole range of things (ive got similar problems) and have nearly replaced the entire front end (vs) trying to find it =P
take a look at this and see if it may help
phoenixmechanical vr commodore suspension

Braking is when it seems to do it most. Only sometimes it'll clunk through a spoon drain.
Hmm I believe it's a knocking.
Yeah. Gotta love cars and there problems haha.
Ill take a look, thanks:)

Its not brake related.
Sway bar may look fine but the hole could be clapped out.
Hmph. I'll jack it up later and try to sus it out.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i looked at a mates vu yesterday about this! no wheel movement and clunking when braking, it turned out to be the arm that comes from the power steering rack, not sure what its called :S lol

The rack end then tierod end. You can feel these rocking the wheel and it doesn't seem to fit the fault described.

As above does it do it over speed bumps too? I'm thinking it could be the sway bar link arms

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
The rack end then tierod end. You can feel these rocking the wheel and it doesn't seem to fit the fault described.

As above does it do it over speed bumps too? I'm thinking it could be the sway bar link arms

Nah not the tierod end, It did have it until I had the steering rack replaced.

It's not as bad as when I brake, I think I might of had those replaced? had them replaced with H/duty and Nolathane... Bushes I believe. I looked at them and there was a gap between the bushes and the swaybar and like the strut? but thought it was to allow movement when steering? :S

fallen1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS Statesman
i had the same problem. most annoying noise ever. came from the right side front end. its almost impossible to pin point a knock best bet is the sway bar bushes. i got mine replaced an it solved the problem.. goodluck with the knock

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Well Ive got the car jacked up.. I was shaking everything trying to find a clunk.. I shook my spring and all of a sudden it was raining ball bearings. small ball bearings. Do struts have these? o_O

edit just googled strut mount... and what'd I find 'strut mount bearing kits' so I think, It might be my strut mounts...

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ball bearings?

do you knwo where they dropepd out of?

(or is that to do with the strut rubber mounts/spinable bearing?)

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
ball bearings?

do you knwo where they dropepd out of?

(or is that to do with the strut rubber mounts/spinable bearing?)

Nah, I think the top of the spring area, really not sure? Seemed weird.. I saw one on the ground and thought nothing of it.. and while I was shaking the spring more fell down..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
the bearings are out of your strut mount.... dont just get the bearing get the whole strut top mount. nolathane are worth every penny should be about $150. youll need spring comprssors to change them aswell.