Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common high KM problems?

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
powersteering problems

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Power steering tends to leak. You could spend thousands chasing it but if you jut get them to replace the reservoir and two hoses that connect to it you may see the leak vanish. The rack can sometimes get cracks in the inner boot, that's what happened to mine... according to Holden.

My car needs front wheel bearings... it's done 215,000 kms on what I can assume is the original pair. They're only producing minor vibrations and noise but along with worn shocks it keeps knocking out wheel alignment.

There's a problem with central locking by water leaking in around the door windows when the seals get old, dried out and cracked. Apparently (from what I've read) the solenoids get water damage and so either the central locking doesn't work on all doors, or not at all.

Other than that the only thing I can recommend looking at is the tyre wear. The "natural" unusual camber that the VT's characteristically have can cause feathering on the tyres. The front tyres feather the most. To be honest it would be best to buy a car that hasn't just got new tyres on it because they could be hiding an expensive problem with cheap rubber...

Umm.. what else.....yeah, sensors play up as the wiring gets old... Personal experience with that one. :thumbsup:

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Speak for yourselves!

Mine has done over 277,000kms and nothing wrong with it. Always serviced and runs a treat.

Only the usual things like suspension wear and maybe the window seals but that is about it.

Preventative maintenance is the key if you ask me.

ned

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ss
when mine got to 200.000ks i had to replace engine mounts,,stearing rack,,stearing pump,engine runs well and the same with gearbox,,

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
oh don't get me wrong... I doubt I actually NEEDED to replace the power steering rack and pump...

Also all those things are just little niggles. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with my car (except that the aircon doesn't work as I am thinking it needs a regas and the vacuum controls replaced). It still kicks over first time, every time. The gearbox is fine, doesn't jump or anything. It still does 100kms per 10 liters (average) more when there's a lot of freeway driving. The tires are wearing evenly in spite of the shocks and wheel bearings (excluding the feathering from wheel alignment being dodgey). It never over heats, even on the hottest days. Water temp sits on a lovely 98 degrees and the fans usually only come on when I'm sitting in traffic.
Most of the rubber in the car is getting old, it isn't well protected from sun where I live and work (unfortunately) but that can be expected. It will be 10 years old come February! :D

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Mate just bought a stock standard late 99 model vt ss series 2 6 speed gen3. One owner very clean nothing wrong with it everything is perfect.

It has 190,000kms

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
mine has just clocked 236,000 ks. had it from 130,000, bought it 4 years ago, id say half of the 100k that ive done would be country, still get 600ks+ city and over 800ks country to a tank. only had 1 coil pack die and 1 harmonic balancer. :thumbsup:

snappy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Statesman V6
well I have a 1995 vs series 1 v6 statesman. It has just clocked 391,000km's on the clock. I admit I have a couple of teething problems with it now and then mainly with sensors. a couple of things have been replaced like: shocks all round, diff, CV shafts, rebuilt gearbox & transmission, steering rack, radiator, engine mounts, engine!, all hoses, throttlebody, water pump, power steering pump, all 4 wheel bearings, and tomorrow the oil and filter. Supprisingly the roof lining is still original and in immaculate condition I might add. I have to say she does do alright but then again she's made up of about 16 write off's lol.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
new engine, new transmission, new brakes (rotors and booster), new radiator, new battery, new engine mounts, new suspension. I think my diff is still original? haha

daniel_mcb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Commo, Nissan S13 Silvia
Hi, im looking at a VU ute that has 238,000km's on the clock, depending on how it has been treated, would this one be heading down the same road as the older models with similar km's?