Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooked the tweeters.....

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
My mate got Alpine type r SPR-17s 6.5" splits running in his vz, the other day we added another amp to the existing audio set up to run a sub. everything went flawless but after we connected the battery and turned the ignition , we both sensed sum electric burning smell and we quickly turned the ignition off and since then the front tweeters had stopped working . the woofer on split system works fine.

how can i check whats wrong with with them or can i buy just the tweeters...

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Are you running the passive crossovers which would have come with the splits?

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
But while installing the second sub, we didnt touch anything related to splits..

I think its time to buy new set.. Can i buy some other brand tweeaters and run them off alpine crossovers.?

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
But while installing the second sub, we didnt touch anything related to splits..

I think its time to buy new set.. Can i buy some other brand tweeaters and run them off alpine crossovers.?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
My mate got Alpine type r SPR-17s 6.5" splits running in his vz, the other day we added another amp to the existing audio set up to run a sub. everything went flawless but after we connected the battery and turned the ignition , we both sensed sum electric burning smell and we quickly turned the ignition off and since then the front tweeters had stopped working . the woofer on split system works fine.

Tweeters are more sensitive than the bigger speakers. Was the amp on when when you reconnected the battery? They, and/or the xovers could have received a power spike when you reconnected the battery.
1) What type of head unit are you running?
2) How did you wire the new amp?
3) You mentioned another amp. How is this wired?
4) Have you checked the wiring to the speakers, to the tweets and the xover? Does anything look damaged, discoloured or burnt?
5) Did both tweeters stop working at the same time.
Sorry for all the questions and sounding like you are in the witness box, but we need to know all the details to try and help.

Last edited:

madnuts

Lives around high voltage
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commonwhore
Was the amp you added just for the sub or all speakers

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Was the amp you added just for the sub or all speakers

From what I gather he added another amp for the sub and there was already another amp for the speakers.
I'm cautious as to the way the second amp was fitted.