Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct caliper bolts

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I was under the impression that if you’re given a torque setting of x plus x degrees that it is for torque to yield bolts and that the x degrees is for the bolt to stretch. (Meaning single use)

Where as if your given a torque setting of x and that’s it then you can reuse the bolts
Yes agree. The angle stipulated is more precise and will give a known percentage of strain by a direct calculation. (i.e. the distance along an inclined plane, which is the nut travelling along the thread)
If the bolt is being stressed beyond yield, then the bolt will start to go "loose" and be on its path to failure. Thus I would not expect these to be torque to yield.
Anyone here recall the stress/strain graph from Mech Eng days?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What I find rather humourious about this thread is, I have never seen anyone, nor have I used a torque wrench on caliper bolts, when ever they have been removed and put back in.

And I've done thousands, and seen just as many being done and never ever had issues.....

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
What I find rather humourious about this thread is, I have never seen anyone, nor have I used a torque wrench on caliper bolts, when ever they have been removed and put back in.

And I've done thousands, and seen just as many being done and never ever had issues.....
I use a torque wrench to make sure they are done up f-ing tight, but I'm a pedant.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
By torquing then to angle this also eliminates the effects of any lubricant on the thread like thread locker or misplaced slide grease. If you torque up a lubricated thread to a dry torque spec you will over torque the fastener and actually snap the bolt in some cases.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I was under the impression that if you’re given a torque setting of x plus x degrees that it is for torque to yield bolts and that the x degrees is for the bolt to stretch. (Meaning single use)

Where as if your given a torque setting of x and that’s it then you can reuse the bolts
Yep it's a VERY common misconception.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I use a torque wrench to make sure they are done up f-ing tight, but I'm a pedant.

F-ing tight is a great all round torque figure.:cool:

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
A mechanic I know used to always say tighten bolts till they snap off then back off half a turn!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
F-ing tight is a great all round torque figure.:cool:
It scares me how loose most torque specs are. When I do most bolts up by feel they always end up higher than the torque spec.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I changed my front rotors this weekend I just cleaned the bolts with a wire brush, applied blue loctite and tightened them to spec. Years ago when I had to change the front strut top mounts the service manual asked for new bolts I spoke to the holden parts department and they told me they don't even bother to replace them!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Was the consensus that the caliper bolts on these need replacing? I wanted to pull the rotors tomorrow to inspect the shoes on the VE ute but won't be able to get new bolts anywhere as I'm in iso.