Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost to replace water pump? VS V8

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
It took me an hour and a half to replace my water pump, refill and bleed cooling system. It's not a hard job and it is not a time consuming job. Sorry to say but you've been jipped.. I'd be kicking up a stink for sure. Go get a few written quotes and ask your mechanic to explain where your $700 went?

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
you can buy a vn 5.0L complete motor on ebay for that!
Hell i bought a 5.0L vq s1 stato with 6mths rego for $500!
I'd be making a complaint to dept fair trading on that price.

Subway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Senator 5.0
You guys are right, sounds like they have really pulled a number on me. The invoice states - "Supply/install new waterpump/coolant/Alternator Belt - $718.18 + GST"

Now the funny thing is my previous invoices from them have a complete breakdown of costs like you'd expect. Looking at the last invoice from a month ago is has Coolant - $30, Labour - Qty 1 - $50. He told me it was 4 hours labour so that is $200 + $30 coolant. I will contact them tomorrow and ask for an invoice with a full breakdown of the costs.

Thanks for the advice. A pity I didn't ask before hand like I usually do!

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
images

my face when i saw that bill

how the fk could it be that much, and 4 hrs that is bullshit

i just did one for a mate only takes around 1hr and40 mins if that, and i did it for free because its a piss easy job

you should learn mechanics or get one of your mechanically minded mates to do it for cheap

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
champ, i can have a water pump changed and cooling system bled up in under an hour with expecting the odd minor issue like a stripped bolt or something.
4 hours for a 5.0L waterpump is a crock of ****.
I can pull your heads and top end off, clean up and renew head gaskets and have it all back together in 4 hours!
add an extra 20 or so minutes if you wanted valves taken off the heads and new seals put on.

WTF was he doing for the 4 hours whilst doing the water pump? Yanking his crank? Cause he sure yanked yours.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
No point conplaining now. Cars fixed and money has been handed over.

Learn from ur mistakes.

A.C.COOKIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive 93
Holly **** man at that price you should have just tried doing it yourself and even if you really screwed up and had to replace extra bits it still wouldnt have cost that much. I have been lucky as my father has always been mechanically minded and is a heavy diesel mechanic and I have been raised with a spanner in hand so I never go to a mechanic. There is not point telling you what everyone else has told you and what you already know but next time it would pay to give a shout out on this site and see what responses you get back. I am on the northern outskirts of brissy and **** man if you had of put it out there I would have had a go for you and the only cost would have been the parts and a carton to drink while doing it :) I am not trade but **** man a water pump is piss easy unless your working on an old leyland buss or something still pretty easy

yoshi87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
just looked on ebay a vs v8waterpump ur looking around $60 + postage, takes around an hr or so, and yh ur mechanic gained ur trust then bent u over and reemed u a new one

Subway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Senator 5.0
Thanks again for all the replies and advice guys. I wish I asked here before doing anything!

Just wondering, should the coolant reservoir be full? I had a look under the bonnet last night and this morning and I noticed the reservoir is down below the Min level already and it only came back from the Mechanics 2 days ago! I know when they fixed the heater valve a month ago it was full to the Max line. I had a lool around and couldn't see anything leaking and there was no water on the driveway. I checked the radiator cap and that is full. Is this something I should be complaining about? I'd assume the reservoir needs to be full, especially just after being flushed and refilled with new coolant?

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
There is no way it should be below the min level already. Considering how much they just reamed you I'd be telling them to refill it.