Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost to replace water pump? VS V8

Subway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Senator 5.0
Yep, that is what I thought! Not only that when I reversed out this morning I got out to check the ground and sure enough there is a very small puddle (about the size of my fist) on the ground right under the radiator area!!

I really don't feel comfortable even taking it back to the same mob again now, who knows what else they are going to come up with and charge me for this time!

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Oh crap :/ Check your front hoses and clamps to make sure they are on properly and tight enough. Also check around the pump maybe its not done up tight enough. Run the engine and see if you can see where its leaking from

While you're at it I'd be naming and shaming these bastards!

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
They shouldn't charge u anything to fix it... Call em and take it back.

Subway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Senator 5.0
Update: I got a mate at work to have a look as he is pretty good with mechanics. He said the leak is from the air con as it's too far back to be from the water pump or any other parts of the cooling system. We also checked the reservoir again and it was back to half way, he said if they didn't flush and top up the radiator properly it would get air bubbles which could cause the reservoir to fluctuate. He said top it up to full and monitor it but he wasn't too concerend.

He also checked the oil as he was concerned there may be some head gasket damage but he said the oil looked good.

I have submitted a Approved Repairer Complainted to the RACQ, as I called them up to get their advice. I will keep this post updated.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Farken hell!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Update: I got a mate at work to have a look as he is pretty good with mechanics. He said the leak is from the air con as it's too far back to be from the water pump or any other parts of the cooling system. We also checked the reservoir again and it was back to half way, he said if they didn't flush and top up the radiator properly it would get air bubbles which could cause the reservoir to fluctuate. He said top it up to full and monitor it but he wasn't too concerend.
He also checked the oil as he was concerned there may be some head gasket damage but he said the oil looked good.
I have submitted a Approved Repairer Complainted to the RACQ, as I called them up to get their advice. I will keep this post updated.

I would be a bit worried about your mate in addition to your mechanic - there is no coolant in the aircon system. It's normal for a Commodore V8 to need the coolant to be topped up a bit, after work on the cooling system. The Holden V8 automatically bleeds any air out of the system over the next couple of days driving, which is why the level on the reservoir drops - so that's not a concern. However, coolant leaks under the car are a concern. In my experience having changed 4-5 V8 Commodore water pumps, coolant leaks are usually due to the hose clamps on the water pump not being done up tightly enough. It can be a real trap, as the coolant leak appears to be coming from the water pump gasket area. As others have indicated, there is no way you should have to have paid so much for a water (coolant) pump replacement. Pumps are fairly cheap, belts are fairly cheap and you need to remove the power steering and engine/water pump belts anyway to remove the water pump. The only extra work with a senator is to remove/replace the HSV CAI which takes all of a couple of minutes. Genuine Holden coolant costs around $36 for the 5l needed for total coolant replacement. As a willing amateur mechanic, I take about two hours to do the job (because I'm a perfectionist) so a qualified mechanic should have taken less time. Even if the labour rate was $100 per hour, you would be looking at getting change from $350.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Air con? Errr.

Welsh plug possibly? Might want to ask around on here for a local reputable radiator place or mechanic.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
leak is from the air con as it's too far back to be from the water pump or any other parts of the cooling system.

That's the condenser & is a normal thing if running the air con to see a small or sometimes larger puddle of water there. You will know it is just water by the look, smell & more drastically the taste of it. This happens due to the temperature dropping so much during A/C operation that condensation develops & drips off to form the puddle under the chassis aforementioned. You definitely got toasted with the water pump replacement, so my advice to you - is get to know your vehicle so it does not happen again. They will worm their way out of any investigation by a justified breakdown of all costs (total BS). Learn from this experience as there will be more things to do on your ride, knowledge is power my friend..