Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crap fuel economy. Tried everything... What else?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
most likely cause I can think of would be O2 sensors. On the same problem I have a mate with a VXII wagon that has been trying to get over 450km out of a tank without success.

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
yeah i second that, do a search on this forum for O2 sensors, and that should give your answer, but try to find aftermarket ones as the consensus seems to be that the out lay for them, (two?) seems to negate the amount of money saved on fuel...

I think fuels not getting cheaper however.

mrbobcool

mrbobcool
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Copied Response

Temperature sender unit - The temperature sender unit provides the ECU with a varying voltage, which is used to calculate fuel delivery depending on engine temperature. If the sender unit fails, and the wrong voltage is sent to the ECU, the ECU fuel delivery calculations will be incorrect, and this can lead to excessive fuel consumption. In most cases a fault code will be stored in the ECM.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
It could be simple as low tire pressure in one of your wheels.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I am on 16.5L/100Km at the moment :(

But that's 3/4 of a tank of reeaaaallly bad city driving. Took me 1 hr to drive about 13km last night, for example. If I'm lucky I can cover the 11km in 30 mins, which brings it down a touch but anything longer than that and it kills the economy.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I am on 16.5L/100Km at the moment :(

But that's 3/4 of a tank of reeaaaallly bad city driving. Took me 1 hr to drive about 13km last night, for example. If I'm lucky I can cover the 11km in 30 mins, which brings it down a touch but anything longer than that and it kills the economy.
Damn, Mattman that sucks. But what can you do, when you can't avoid that sort of driving hey?

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
You didn;t specify the type of driving. Is it all short city trips? My VT (auto) sits on around 15l/100km as it typically never does more than 3kms in any trip (my wife just drops the kids at school).

I then bring it for a drive up the coast and it easily does 8l/100km or less.

My VY is exactly the same, lucky to do 400km in the city but does 850km in the country.

Yes, the O2 sensor could be playing up, tire pressures could be low or a mix of these problems. I don't think higher octane fuel will help much unless it is a super 6.

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
change oxygen sensors..i did and my economy improved quite a bit..no codes were threw up also..its an ideal investment..get the genuine bosch ones.. $60 each or so..holden sell them for like $160 each!..go to supercheap and get them for less

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Oxygen sensors have u checked them ?

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
from all the other fuel burn threads around here, about 400-450 ks is about average for an ecotec or any model, vs-vy. i only usually get about 459 outta mine