Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

custody question

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
good luck mate, its great to see some people out there still with the decency to do this sorta thing. respect!

CC

Last edited:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Ring the Police. They will either take action or let you know who to contact to take action. The fact you contact them means they have a duty of care and need to endure proper procedures are followed. So if it's not up to them, you'll sure as hell find out who it is up to.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Yeah i must say mate (although it is of no real help), respect to you for wanting to do this, and you sound like a genuine bloke! I wish you all the luck in the world to having this kid in your custody, by the looks of it, it would make his life alot better.

Good to see there are a alot of decent people still left in the world. Once again, good luck mate!! :thumbsup:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
CSP, you friendly freelance ninja...

DSC02568.jpg

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
gold. someone should start a funny ninja thread and every take pics of themselves doin ninja stuff lol.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
WOW! Good on you! A old friend of mine has "Guardianship" of her 2 nephews & niece (all under 12 years old) and she is single and 22 so it is possible. Although she is related, with the amounts of kids living in unsafe environments and not having enough foster carers to go around you should have a pretty good chance. As for moving him interstate... doubt it. He will still need regular contact with his family, you will need to really show to them your willing to take him there often to meet with his family, the courts will look at the best interest of the child and as he is 6 (some states) will actually have him meet with a psych to discuss any issues he is having before court. The thing is having a 6 year old uprooted from family & school, current friends can be a big thing for a kid his age, I doubt the courts will go for it.

But first you need to be sure your willing to provide for a child, its not cheap, its not all fun and games! At first they all behave and once they get to know you more they push the barriers, not just that but how are you living, are you working, do you earn enough? Do you have your families support? Are you stable?

Then when your 100% sure get in contact with DCD/DHS whoever they are in the state the boy is living in, you need to have PROOF that there is abuse involved, the child's word does not always mean everything, kid's can have wild imaginations and the social worker will want him interviewed by police and most likely a psych, they will want to meet with his school then speak with his current guardians. Then once they have done that they will decide what's best in court, if her is happy to go with you, and your happy to have him and can provide for him they can make you "guardian" but the mother & father can step in at any time and have it re-assessed.

I am guessing there will be some type of conditions on the order, such as you cant move without the parents prior written consent, he will need to have medical certificates when he is too ill to visit with them, and the same for days off school, and you will all have to agree on school's and any medical issues he may have.

Best bet I think would be to get in contact with the Lone Father association in your state (Google them for details) or even legal aide and ask them for some advice. All I know above is from the crap we have gone through with Craig's daughter from his previous relationship and I myself was a ward of the state in foster care etc, so things can change.

It's a really messy and difficult can of worms to open so be 100% sure you really want to go ahead with it.

All the best to you though!