Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead battery question

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
well i ended up going with the 600cca one and my $20 ebay special dash cam has been unplugged

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Get the highest capacity one you can afford, usually with the most amount of CCA.

I have the factory fitted AC Delco one in my ute, it's 4 years old, and still has more CCA than the battery is rated at!

My other cars I've always used Australian made Century batteries, current one is 6 years old and still fine.

And if you can afford it, grab a Blackvue Dash cam with the power pack thing... pretty much the best on the market. Not Chinese crap either

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I run the Blackvue DR900S in parking mode in my VFs. Both are powered via a Power Magic Pro. Never had problems with them draining the battery but note the two standard AC Delco batteries (56838 and 57220) will cause the parking mode to cut when unlocking the car via remote as the battery will fall below 12v before powering itself back up. I use the 57038EFB at 720CCA which is able to withstand the unlocking via remote multiple times (although I've gotten into the habit of using the door handle buttons). More expensive but does the job better than cheaper options.

Taking care of your battery is important so any time I park my car for more than 24 hours, I hook it up to a charger. The Ctek MXS5.0 does very well here.

Don't use cheap Chinese made dash cams or any cheap dash cam to be honest... They're cheap for a reason and are worthless for doing the job you want them to. Not to mention when it gets hotter here in Summer, seeing one melt when you park in the 40 degree heat...

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I run the Blackvue DR900S in parking mode in my VFs. Both are powered via a Power Magic Pro. Never had problems with them draining the battery but note the two standard AC Delco batteries (56838 and 57220) will cause the parking mode to cut when unlocking the car via remote as the battery will fall below 12v before powering itself back up. I use the 57038EFB at 720CCA which is able to withstand the unlocking via remote multiple times (although I've gotten into the habit of using the door handle buttons). More expensive but does the job better than cheaper options.

Taking care of your battery is important so any time I park my car for more than 24 hours, I hook it up to a charger. The Ctek MXS5.0 does very well here.

Don't use cheap Chinese made dash cams or any cheap dash cam to be honest... They're cheap for a reason and are worthless for doing the job you want them to. Not to mention when it gets hotter here in Summer, seeing one melt when you park in the 40 degree heat...

Out of interest, I have the same cameras, how were yours wired up? I have the power pack thing too.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Blackvue are the best and i have been using them for almost 10 years now, my first ones had to come from korea because you could not get them here.

The best way to wire them up is to hard wire them with the power magic pro.
The way i set them up normally is with fuse taps to the acc socket for ignition switched power and any fuse that has constant battery power which is what the power magic needs.
12h and 12.0v settings have always worked well.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Out of interest, I have the same cameras, how were yours wired up? I have the power pack thing too.

My PMP is fitted inside the glovebox, secured with double sided tape and the wiring going into a hole behind the carbon fibre trim, and to a separate small fuse box that I mount to the side trim where there's an airbag sticker on it. It has 2 x 3amp fuses. The fuse box is then connected to the DOC connector which is behind the glove box where there's an Earth, Constant and Accessories.
Then behind the glovebox there's room to plug the dash cam to the cigarette lighter port provided by the PMP, and feed up the A pillar trim on the passenger side.

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon

That with the optional female socket is the easiest way of using the DOC connector for dashcams.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director

That with the optional female socket is the easiest way of using the DOC connector for dashcams.

But very expensive... Using female blades from Jaycar that can just slide into the DOC connector pins at $5 was substantially cheaper and just as effective. :)