Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
looking after the paint is more then just a layer of wax, although it helps. to look after it you need to use a ph neutral car wash, 2 bucket method, microfibre wash mitt for paint and another seperate one for wheels, a good microfibre drying towel and a spray wax for lubrication when drying. using all these properly will minimise the amount of wash induced swirls which will help keep the paint in tip top condition.

now for protecting the paint id say ditch the armor all and get some duragloss total performance polish to use as a sealant. it will look great on silver and give good protection, and best of all its easy to use.

check out car care product's how to guide for a great rundown on looking after your car. they also sell all the gear needed at great prices.

Very true, I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to my cars. I was surprised actually, for what was just a fleet car, the paint is not bad - not great, but I was expecting worse. It will need a respray on the front and rear bumpers (normal car park stuff), otherwise, it's pretty decent :)

Cheers mate, I'll give Duragloss a go.

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I have one for you all...
How to get light burn marks from buffer off external rubbers like door strips?

Rambodian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
How does everyone go with cleaning the engine bay?
Can I pressure clean it?
Or should I use some degrease or some other product?

It was obviously cleaned before I bought the car (VZ) and I want to keep it looking good. Any advice appreciated as I don't want to cause a problem with electrics etc, or get water in something I shouldn't.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I have one for you all...
How to get light burn marks from buffer off external rubbers like door strips?

Replacing the trim is the only real way to remedy a burn mark - if it's residue, you should be able to clean it up with some APC, a soft brush and some patience. Won't work if it's burned though. If it's only very light, you may have some luck with a good trim dressing or restorer. It's very important to mask these areas when polishing.

How does everyone go with cleaning the engine bay?
Can I pressure clean it?
Or should I use some degrease or some other product?

It was obviously cleaned before I bought the car (VZ) and I want to keep it looking good. Any advice appreciated as I don't want to cause a problem with electrics etc, or get water in something I shouldn't.

You'll get a few mixed reviews on this - If you're removing the engine covers to clean, then I would cover the coil packs, and any exposed electrics (alternator, etc). Aside from that, Bag up any exposed filters (I plug up OTRs as well) and go for it. Spray with APC or degreaser, use a soft brush to work in and around all the nooks and crannies and agitate the degreaser where needed, then pressure rinse off - just keep the lance a reasonable distance from the bay so you're not forcing water where it doesn't belong. Turn the car on when you're done so the heat helps to dry it out, dress the plasitcs and rubbers with 303 or similar and a layer of wax on the painted areas doesn't hurt (a synthetic product will cop the heat better) - just make sure you remove any bags or covers before starting the car.

pondyrock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon
Whats good for the interior? Sounds like on here the usual armourall protectant isn't any good.

pondyrock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon
Thanks mate, will have to try them.

Whats the word on touch up paints?

Are the ones from super cheap okay for a few little marks?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I tend to get touch up paint from dealerships where possible - seems to be the best colour match I've found, aside from when clients have paint made up by a good panel shop. You can get reasonable results on small defects like stone chips, but your prep needs to be right and you need to take your time with it. Touch ups will never be perfect though.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Thanks mate, will have to try them.

Whats the word on touch up paints?

Are the ones from super cheap okay for a few little marks?

i bought a can from supercheap and i found that it is quite runny. also the supercheap paint will peel off easily with a pressure hose when washing your car. ( not quite sure about other outlets paints.)

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
i bought a can from supercheap and i found that it is quite runny. also the supercheap paint will peel off easily with a pressure hose when washing your car. ( not quite sure about other outlets paints.)

you havent prepped the area properly if this is happening