Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys, not sure if this has been asked in this thread yet, but what is the best way/product to use, to clean the exhaust tip? Both my cars exhaust tip have heaps of black spots that I am having trouble getting off.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
any pics of the spotting? If it's pitting in the chrome, it obviously won't come off.

If it's little raised tar spots, use some white spirits or panel wipe to dissolve the tar.

I will try and get photos up today. I tried bug and tar remover and that seemed to work the best out of everything else but still not clean yet.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
You'll need a solvent if it's tar. White spirits is the functional ingredient in most tar removers - but it's cheaper (and often more effective) to just use it straight - pick up a litre from bunnings for about 6 bucks. Spray it on and let it dwell, then wipe with a microfibre. It might take a few applications to dissolve the tar completely, if it's really baked on there. You'll probably also want to give the chrome a polish once it's clean and a metal sealant wouldn't hurt afterwards and should assist with keeping future contaminants from bonding.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I will try that, here are some pics:

VS:

VS1-1.jpg

WH:

Stato1.jpg

Stato3.jpg

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Whats the best product to use on EXTERIOR plastics, all your window trims/rubbers and even the front window rubbers on the VE's

got my car back from a shop, and they had given it a polish, though there is still dried up polish in all the gaps and dried up stuff on some of the black window plastic, which looks like it will, if not already, stain the plastics... :\

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T

WH:

Stato1.jpg

]

hey mate ive always used "autosol" on my exhaust tips its just a metal polish, brings the tips up very nice, those marks should come off with some. its 12$ at supercheap auto. cheers.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute

That looks like a combination of things, including pitting. Certainly the tar will come off with white spirits. But spend some time with some metal polish - I like Purpe metal polish by California Customs - it won't be quick, but you should be able to make a good improvement.

Whats the best product to use on EXTERIOR plastics, all your window trims/rubbers and even the front window rubbers on the VE's

got my car back from a shop, and they had given it a polish, though there is still dried up polish in all the gaps and dried up stuff on some of the black window plastic, which looks like it will, if not already, stain the plastics... :\

You'll obviously need to remove the polish from the gaps and plastic - assuming they haven't burnt the plastic, it should come off with some APC, a brush (a soft toothbrush can be handy for textured plastics) and some patience. Once it's all cleaned up, there's a couple of good options for exterior trim - 303 aerospace is popular or, for something more durable, try Wolf's trim coat.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
thanks mate, APC? anything in particular? (sorry, im pretty useless when it comes to knowledge of these products)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute