Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Not sure if I missed it, but before I decide to replace them, is there any way to remove water stains off chrome trims. All my door window chromes have it. Did try a polish autobarn sold me but did nothing but waste $35. My windows also have the same issue.

Cheers.

for the chrome trims i would mask up the rubbers around them then hit it with californian customs purple polish. for the glass duragloss nuglass. both are availible from car care products. to stop this happening in the future, dont let the car dry naturally when washing it and try not to let it get too dirty beween washes so if it rains there is bugger all to etch into the surfaces when it dries

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi ya all,
I've use "Fire Glaze" car polish for 15 years and found it to be excellent. I wont use anything else. A panel beater/spray painter at my old work put me onto it. It's very hard to get in the shops. As a matter of fact, I've never seen it in a shop.... Most sales people say "Fire what? Sorry never heard of it".
It is available online though.
Has anyone used this product or had any experience with it?
Just interested to know your thoughts.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi ya all,
I've use "Fire Glaze" car polish for 15 years and found it to be excellent. I wont use anything else. A panel beater/spray painter at my old work put me onto it. It's very hard to get in the shops. As a matter of fact, I've never seen it in a shop.... Most sales people say "Fire what? Sorry never heard of it".
It is available online though.
Has anyone used this product or had any experience with it?
Just interested to know your thoughts.

I have. In fact i mention it in my build thread.
Currently over the weekend put on two coats of it and took some piccies. Below is a sample pic.
It seems ok, ppl rave about it but ppl rave bout many things.
Im still so so bout it

IMAG0319111.jpg

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Hey guys, getting ready/amped to detail my car properly for my fist time, but have a few questions (and I'm sure I'll have more later)

Firstly; Have been watching afew detailing videos, and have noticed people using a paint protection (in my case will be the duragloss paint protection pack) and then adding a layer of wax over the top of that. What are the advantages/disadvantages to adding wax ONTOP of paint protection?

Secondly; Might be obvious to most, but what is the difference between a hard wax and soft wax? are some suited to a certain paint type, or is it just the strength of coating it gives?

Third; Once you have washed the car and move into claying the body, is there a need to dry the car before you start claying, or just start claying while the car is wet? have heard alot of conflicting info on this..

Last; I am still on the fence about buying a bottle of Dodo juice Lime Prime, is it worth getting and applying before i put the paint protection on?
there are only very very light swirls on a couple of panels so the micro-abrasives should be enough, instead of machine polishing. however is it TOO harsh for a 2year old car, as it does say not for new/soft paints.... but lime prime lite has NO abrasives what-so-ever so defeats majority of the point for me.

I don't want to buy a bottle if its no good and is a waste of money, but at the same time i don't want to spend all weekend detailing my car only to still find abit of contamination or whatever.

Think thats all I've got for now, but guarantee i will have more questions later ;)

cheers, Troy

brapdat

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' Vy Sv8
Hey guys, getting ready/amped to detail my car properly for my fist time, but have a few questions (and I'm sure I'll have more later)

Third; Once you have washed the car and move into claying the body, is there a need to dry the car before you start claying, or just start claying while the car is wet? have heard alot of conflicting info on this..

cheers, Troy

Firstly, do you understand what your doing with a claybar?
a claybar should NEVER be used dry. hell, i have never washed a car before using a claybar, generally ill pressure spray the car, claybar the bonnet, front guards, roof and boot, forget the doors and what not, pressure spray it again, dry it with a chamois and then cut and polish it. this method is also used in various detailing workshops and cuts out the whole wash with soaps etc.

Secondly, there are certain colors of cars which do and dont require a claybar, but the conditions the car has been in also have a factor.
a claybar isnt exactly cheap either! so dont drop it!

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
no need to dry the car before claying, thats just a waste of time. keep in mind the clay lube will get watered down doing this so use the lube liberally. also all cars of all colours need claying, it just depends on if there is bonded contaminates on the paint surface. best bet is to put a plastic bag over your hand and rub it over the paint after you have washed it, if it feels gritty then you need to clay before any form of polishing takes place. if you dont do this the polishing process will dislodge some of this grit and rub it all over the paint surface, resulting in more marring/swirls. this will also help water sheet off the paint when you wash the car as the water wont be sticking to the contaminates

you dont have new paint, 2 weeks after a spray job is new. by the time you take delivery of a new car it is fine to do anything to the paint. so in saying that lime prime is fine to be used on your paint.

if the car is 2 years old i would seriously consider getting a das6 polisher and correcting that paint as i can almost garentee it has swirls (spidar web marks) in the paint.

using a wax over a sealant is due to the looks a wax gives on some colours. putting the sealant down first gives the long lasting protection but gives off a "wrapped in glossy plastic" look where as a wax gives a "deep wet" looking finish, this looks the best on black and red cars. most dark coloured cars benifit from wax which i feel will look great on your car.

the difference between soft and hard waxes (i assume you are talking about the dodo range) is the soft waxes is easier to use compaired to the hard waxes but they dont last as long on the paint.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Firstly, do you understand what your doing with a claybar?
a claybar should NEVER be used dry.

Yes, I know what I'm doing with a clay bar, I will be claying with a shitload of lube! My question about drying was more based around whether the water would dilute the lube too much, or even make the surface too 'dry' as water isn't a very slick liquid. But toey has answered that for me, cheers.

Toey, ill have a better read and response once I get home from work ;)