Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between holden and HSV 304s

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Thanks for that - may be for the next tune I'll include a knock sensor:thumbsup:

I wouldn't bother. First you need to get a knock sensor board for your memcal. Second I was told they aren't that great anyway.
I was thinking about fitting a knock sensor on my engine, but every engine tuner I spoke to said they usually disable knock sensors on tunes, particularly if the engine has roller rockers etc. They tend to retard the timing unnecessarily. If you get your tuner to set your engine up on a particular fuel (eg 98) then the engine won't ping anyway. Mine certainly doesn't.

Blownhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP GTS VR Senator
Nope, only the Group A scored the D port heads.

I know this is old but because people are still reading it I will add that the VP GTS also had D port heads. Plus the VP GTS was the only "black" motor in the VP range (apart from the limited 5000i clubsport). The VP Senator 5000i (200kw) was a red motor

and to clear up other things about cam shafts, the SV5000 had a different profile cam to the VP 200kw engines. There were customer complaints back in the day that the SV5000 was too raw for people driving these cars. So when the 200kw VP range was released they were somewhat subdued

caprice s3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice s3
would a vs caprice series 3 1998 5 ltr hav a hydraulic or roller cam?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Nope, only the Group A scored the D port heads.

I know it's a thread dig but somebody else did the digging - I just did the reading :D

Having owned two of the 4 bolt motors I can categorically confirm they do come with the D port heads.

Reaper