Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you have a Room in your house that's is Hunger for Power?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yes I have, I have two room in the house that is Hunger for $$power$$ and it was time to fix the issue. Room one is our Satellite monitoring room which has one hungry 85 inch Z8H and I use 9 Monitors plus one computer and a few decoders. Room two is a Computer room that has 5 computers where at least 4 off them are on and these computers use 850w power supplies that feed RTX 3080ti for sat use only Now my computer room is only used about 20% of the time compared to the Satellite TV room but even then it SUCK a lot of power.
Although we use a lot of power we have never had a electricity bill since 2008 because of our Solar Feed in system that generates income for us (40cents Per Kw) plus runs the house day and night and considering the price of KW is getting higher (rediculas after the 1st of July 2023) we might go to the dark side and pay AGL our money which we don't want.
Persons ask to combat this can you increase the size/amount of the panels on your Solar System that feeds power back in the street and the answer is QLD NO, so how do you get around this issue. Built a OFF GRID System that you can use mainly at night and that is completely legal to do as you take the load away from the main Feed in Solar that is connected to the street.
It has taken me nealy one months on and off to complete the project, yes I'm old and I don't work 8 hours a day mainly after the first 2 days that I have worked 8 to 10 hours and it nearly wipes me out and its time for me to slow down.
To start with our system I use 3 X 100Ah LiFe PO 4 batteries and I will add another next week to increase the capacity but in general I will have 8 in total after I build another cabinet today.
I have done this project cheaply as the 8X200 watt panels I got a a carton of beer, ( I have 2 spares), the inverter I got free after I done some favors to earn this, Purchase the Battery Controller. got a discount price for the Batteries. The rest I had but what I did not have and it cost was the RED Clipsal Series 2000 power points that cost over $26 each and got 10 of them. One installed on the Special Circuit for the Sat tv room, the other after I have a rest.

The Photo below shows the 3 Solar panel in front of our house facing north (you dont need to see the front of the house)

The Photo below shows the other 3 panel on another part of the roof facing north. Also You can see the other panel that feed the On Grid Solar system. Take note the Terrestrial antenna. One facing Mt Cootha and the other Bald Knob for Sunshine Coast. Installers say its impossible to get Sunshine Coast where you live. Clearly they don't know me.

The photo below below shows one of the two battery cabinets. Now I have 3 batteries , Soon I will have 4 in it. total 2 cabinets with 4 in each,,, total 8 Batteries.

The photo below shows whats in the Cabinet.

The Photo below shows a distance shot of the Battery Controller, the Inverter, AC and DC Switchboard and down the bottom the Battery Cabinet

The photo below shows the Efficiency for our hungry Sony 85 Z8H people look for more STARS, I look for less stars as 95% of Tv's that have less stars are better tv's

The photo below shows the FIRST RED Clipsal Double Power Point that donate OFF GRID POWER for me That one lead feed the complete room, Yes all the Monitors, decoders, the big TV everything in that room so all I need to do is remove it where it is now and plug it into the Red power point.

Its time to build another cabinet. By the way this OFF GRID Stuff is new to me and still learning. By the way ,,, Have a look at the RG-6 cables on the bottom left, It thick as a arm, RG-6s for the Satellite Dishes

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Is the upfront costs worth it though?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I added the second cabinet which will house another 4 batteries and between them my 3 Batteries now just about to come 4 soon I will have a Good System. Next week I will add RED power points to critical areas around the House. I will take my time doing this.
Originally I though WAR will come into this but for me at the moment I think the War will be the Greens and Labor shutting down our Power Stations. Liddell is the last power station to shut down and for me but when Eraring shut down we will be trucked. They the Goverment can't rely on Wind and Solar panels to pick up the Slack because if they do on high usage times expect mass power outages

Below is the photo of our second cabinet. Each Cabinet can house 8 batteries, 4 up the top shelf (no on now) 4 down the bottom. ( i will use 4 per Cabinet)
These LiFe P04 Batteries don't emit gases, don't get hot at all not unless you short them out which is a No No (ps: have a 60AMP circuit Breaker on each battery close to the Positive Terminal. By the way the Top shelf will be bolted to the side walls, I wont use those stupid clips because if they fail the top shelf will come down with the weight of 4 batteries and short out the bottom batteries. Now that will be a Disaster. Also I will strengthen the shelf like I have done on the existing set up.

Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
The biggest coast is labour, Truck hate to see how much it will cost if I got 2 sparkies to do this. For me its not only the satisfaction that my stroke riddle brain still works but I wanted to do this because the Math's of the Govenment does not add up and I can see in the future we will have a lot of black outs and blacks out equals No Sat TV room, my information.
the same was said to me by others. Quote "how much did you solar cost you" I said about 7 thousand bucks, OOOOHHH that cheap for the time,,, why so cheap, I did the work myself as I have a Electrical Contractors License OOOOHH Saw the Family 2 weeks ago and they asked the question again and I told them since 2008 we have never had a Electricity bill and not only we did not have a bill we made goood money OOOOOHH you made money. IF it tell you, you wont beleive it.
STAY TUNED IN THE NEXT 20 Minutres

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yes I have, I have two room in the house that is Hunger for $$power$$ and it was time to fix the issue. Room one is our Satellite monitoring room which has one hungry 85 inch Z8H and I use 9 Monitors plus one computer and a few decoders. Room two is a Computer room that has 5 computers where at least 4 off them are on and these computers use 850w power supplies that feed RTX 3080ti for sat use only Now my computer room is only used about 20% of the time compared to the Satellite TV room but even then it SUCK a lot of power.
Although we use a lot of power we have never had a electricity bill since 2008 because of our Solar Feed in system that generates income for us (40cents Per Kw) plus runs the house day and night and considering the price of KW is getting higher (rediculas after the 1st of July 2023) we might go to the dark side and pay AGL our money which we don't want.
Persons ask to combat this can you increase the size/amount of the panels on your Solar System that feeds power back in the street and the answer is QLD NO, so how do you get around this issue. Built a OFF GRID System that you can use mainly at night and that is completely legal to do as you take the load away from the main Feed in Solar that is connected to the street.
It has taken me nealy one months on and off to complete the project, yes I'm old and I don't work 8 hours a day mainly after the first 2 days that I have worked 8 to 10 hours and it nearly wipes me out and its time for me to slow down.
To start with our system I use 3 X 100Ah LiFe PO 4 batteries and I will add another next week to increase the capacity but in general I will have 8 in total after I build another cabinet today.
I have done this project cheaply as the 8X200 watt panels I got a a carton of beer, ( I have 2 spares), the inverter I got free after I done some favors to earn this, Purchase the Battery Controller. got a discount price for the Batteries. The rest I had but what I did not have and it cost was the RED Clipsal Series 2000 power points that cost over $26 each and got 10 of them. One installed on the Special Circuit for the Sat tv room, the other after I have a rest.

The Photo below shows the 3 Solar panel in front of our house facing north (you dont need to see the front of the house)

The Photo below shows the other 3 panel on another part of the roof facing north. Also You can see the other panel that feed the On Grid Solar system. Take note the Terrestrial antenna. One facing Mt Cootha and the other Bald Knob for Sunshine Coast. Installers say its impossible to get Sunshine Coast where you live. Clearly they don't know me.

The photo below below shows one of the two battery cabinets. Now I have 3 batteries , Soon I will have 4 in it. total 2 cabinets with 4 in each,,, total 8 Batteries.

The photo below shows whats in the Cabinet.

The Photo below shows a distance shot of the Battery Controller, the Inverter, AC and DC Switchboard and down the bottom the Battery Cabinet

The photo below shows the Efficiency for our hungry Sony 85 Z8H people look for more STARS, I look for less stars as 95% of Tv's that have less stars are better tv's

The photo below shows the FIRST RED Clipsal Double Power Point that donate OFF GRID POWER for me That one lead feed the complete room, Yes all the Monitors, decoders, the big TV everything in that room so all I need to do is remove it where it is now and plug it into the Red power point.

Its time to build another cabinet. By the way this OFF GRID Stuff is new to me and still learning. By the way ,,, Have a look at the RG-6 cables on the bottom left, It thick as a arm, RG-6s for the Satellite Dishes
Not many solar panels on your roof if thats all of them. The 8kw system I just had fitted has 19 panels. 8 facing east, 7 facing north and 4 facing west.

During my peak power generation time (10am till midday) I’m putting out about 6kws even though we are nearly in winter. Most of my power generation is in the morning and it drops off a lot in the afternoon due to only 4 west facing panels and shade issues on the north facing panels.

I try and self consume by time-shifting my demand as much as possible. The pool pump and chlorinator are set to run from 8am to 2pm, the electric hot water is on a timer from 10am to 1pm. If I have to wash clothes or put the dishwasher on I make sure it’s done in the morning or middle of the day.

Im generating about 2kw from 7 am in the morning at the moment on a sunny day so basically running the house is free from 7am to about 1pm. That situation will improve immensely when summer comes around. Hopefully enough power will be getting exported to pay for what I use outside of those hours.

You can normally change your system out for a bigger one, which is what I did, you just give up your premium FIT and fall back to 8-10 cents per kWh. I made the judgement that it was worthwhile to do that as the tiny 1.5kw system I did have would export SFA unless you basically kill the main switch before you leave for work.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Not many solar panels on your roof if thats all of them. The 8kw system I just had fitted has 19 panels. 8 facing east, 7 facing north and 4 facing west.

During my peak power generation time (10am till midday) I’m putting out about 6kws even though we are nearly in winter. Most of my power generation is in the morning and it drops off a lot in the afternoon due to only 4 west facing panels and shade issues on the north facing panels.

I try and self consume by time-shifting my demand as much as possible. The pool pump and chlorinator are set to run from 8am to 2pm, the electric hot water is on a timer from 10am to 1pm. If I have to wash clothes or put the dishwasher on I make sure it’s done in the morning or middle of the day.

Im generating about 2kw from 7 am in the morning at the moment on a sunny day so basically running the house is free from 7am to about 1pm. That situation will improve immensely when summer comes around. Hopefully enough power will be getting exported to pay for what I use outside of those hours.

You can normally change your system out for a bigger one, which is what I did, you just give up your premium FIT and fall back to 8-10 cents per kWh. I made the judgement that it was worthwhile to do that as the tiny 1.5kw system I did have would export SFA unless you basically kill the main switch before you leave for work.
You need batteries!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
By know you know I not a Idiot, I 2008 the Government wrote the Rules, I check them, I spoke to people to comfirm what I was reading and I said GO FOR IT!!!
See once again my large house and as you know by now I have thirstiest TV in the Country, plus TV are coming out of my ars.e in the house, we burn power but we generate a lot of legal power and export to the fools around our area and these fools pay a lot of money that was generate by us. I have told them 100 time this will happen, My wife told them the wifes about the same time LISTEN TO MY HUSBAND. Till today no one has listered to me not one SOALLLLLL

Our Sunny beam since 2008 till today. I got it as its about to shut down (DARK outside)
Again we have not have a power bill since 2008 Yes A free House and we have generated $25 358 and a few cents in that time.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Now the Govermment is changing the rules, I read them then do what I need to combat this but this time its Different . WHAT HAPPENS IF WE LOSE POWER. NO WAY!!!

Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOOOO Dont do that, Never do that. The Law will change on July the 1st 2028 and if i'm still alive I will do What I have too.