Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do You Think Cyclists Belong On The Road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Drawnnite, thats a good common sense post. And I agree with you cyclists should only be allowed to ride single file. But the laws in Vic currently allow them to ride two wide, so I really cant stand people getting frustrated and trying to run them off the road and yelling abuse when all they are doing is following the road rules

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
OVER THE AGE OF 15/16 IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIDE ON A FOOTPATH

I am very aware of this rule but I will put my bike on a footpath on the odd occassion and risk the Police spotting me, rather than risk my life overtaking a parked car in traffic. I would rather cop a fine or a lecture than end up in hospital badly injured.

Like you I sigh when I see these topics as you get those strong haters that bang on about bikes being registered. Not only do I have 2 cars registered but my bike doesn't touch the roads that often so I would feel gypped paying a tax to do the odd trip on a road to get to a bike track.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
You kidding me mate? You're meant to treat them like cars and overtake them when safe and legal. Not squeeze past them in the same lane and hope you don't kill anyone. Bike riders are allowed to ride on the road and in the lane and just like any other slow vehicle, be patient and pass them when it's safe. Seriously, how fkn hard is that? I think the scary thing is people with your attitude rather than cyclist riding on the road.

You are aware of the law that states you cant obstruct traffic (which is regarded as 20k's or more below the posted speed limit)....

Do the speed limit, or catch public transport. Simple (and that goes for the morons who buy scooters which cant go faster than 50, and proceed to travel on roads that are over 80)

Do you understand what overtaking is? You wait until the oncoming lane is clear then pass. Swerving towards oncoming cars and risking lives is not overtaking champ.

I cant believe the garbage you're writing mate. You say you've nearly collided with cars beside you because you've moved over to avoid a cyclist? You're supposed to wait until the lane next to you is clear, then move over to avoid the lycra clad middle aged man on a bike. if you swerve into another lane without giving way and crash that's not the bikes fault, it's yours.
WRONG. See above ;)

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Do you understand what overtaking is? You wait until the oncoming lane is clear then pass. Swerving towards oncoming cars and risking lives is not overtaking champ.

I cant believe the garbage you're writing mate. You say you've nearly collided with cars beside you because you've moved over to avoid a cyclist? You're supposed to wait until the lane next to you is clear, then move over to avoid the lycra clad middle aged man on a bike. if you swerve into another lane without giving way and crash that's not the bikes fault, it's yours.

I dont beleive the garbage YOUR writing… Simply because i have not seen the cars beside me because of a thing called *blind spot* and i was watching how close i was to the cyclist so i don’t hit them.. And also the morons ride in the middle of the road out of nowhere to avoid things in their way aka parked cars etc they pull out in front of me suddenly sometimes so i haft to suddenly swerve therefore nearly hitting a car beside me.. durr Im not jumping on the brakes and have a car run into me just because a dumb cyclist thinks we should slow down to their speed and wait for them... Do the cyclist understand how NOT to ride in the middle of the lane most the time and hold up traffic?? and like i said we cant sit behind a cyclist because you and they think its ok for them to get in our way so we should give way and sit behind him/her doing 20km in a 60/70 zone untill we can overtake??

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

You mention they don't hold you up, there is a stretch of road near my place that they frequently ride that has a stretch of road with a solid unbroken line for 6K's.................should I follow the boke doing 20km/h in the 100km/h zone for 6K's?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
well turns out i am mistaken.
its actually OVER THE AGE OF 12 BEING ILLEGAL TO RIDE ON A FOOTPATH in Victoria/NSW/SA/WA
Queensland you cannot if it has a No Cycling sign

for those interested in the rules.
Vic: Road rules & fines : VicRoads

NSW: Bicycle Information NSW#|#NSW Road Rules

QLD: Bicycle road rules (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

SA: Cyclist road rules and safety - Government of South Australia
and Road Safety : Cyclists

WA: Cycling on roads: rules and safety
and http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/AT_CYC_P_cycling_and_the_law.pdf

and yeah clair i know where you are coming from.
the only time i use a road is if, a) there is no pathway or b) its a "sidestreet" and its safer then being on the path.
i know i break the law everytime i ride, but i do so for my own safety and the safety of others.
however i am not a road cyclist. which is probably the only downfall to my opinion.
but i know of a fair few people who are road cyclists and have heard many of their horror stories.

also just to add.
i feel sorry for the day an arrogant person decides to run over a 13yr old (or any young kid) for that matter who is just following the rules and riding safely on the road.
its not a matter of if, but when such a day will come.
and it will take a serious death before laws/rules are looked at and peoples ideals change.

just to add.
i am not standing up for cyclists. im sure some do the wrong thing.
but like all things the minority ruin it for the rest.
prime example. young law abiding drivers (p platers) being labelled hoons
im sure a minimum 95% of all cyclists do the correct things within reason

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
99% of cyclists are arrogant. You need only go on any of the forums and see their attitude towards car drivers. And that attitude shows out on the road.

there's at least as many arrogant car drivers as cyclists. I see it all the time on car forums just like this, with threads just like this. They believe cyclists shouldn't be on the roads, period and treat all cyclists (including law abiding cyclists) with that arrogant attitude. Bottom line is cyclists were on the road before cars. So they have at least as much right to be there. Just takes some common sense and understanding from both motorists and cyclists. If people stopped being so pig headed (both motorists and cyclists), most of the problems wouldn't exist.

I'm a cyclist who rides on bike paths and footpaths when they are available and when I do have to use the road, I try to use the shoulder and if not practical I ride as close to the left as possible, and I stop at red lights. And 90% of cyclists I pass in my car do the right thing as well. Yet motorists still hold this negative attitude to cyclists. I also ride a road registered motorbike and guess what.... car drivers merge in front of me, cut me off, drive at me through give way signs.

I deal with both car drivers and truck drivers all day in my job. And although truck drivers tend to get a bad reputation, car drivers are by far the most arrogant, inconsiderate, impatient and blatantly stupid drivers on the road. I'd have far more faith in a road train passing me on my bike safely and considerately than some idiot car driver with an 'I own the road' attitude.

As for the rego debate. Most adult cyclist own at least one car. I own 2 cars and a motorbike. I pay $2000 a year in rego yet between all of these vehicles I'd be lucky to clock up 10,000kms in one year. So I'm more than paying my fair share of rego.

Everyone on the road needs to show a little consideration for other motorists, cyclists and pedestrians. We all have as much right to be there as each other.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
You are aware of the law that states you cant obstruct traffic (which is regarded as 20k's or more below the posted speed limit)....

Do the speed limit, or catch public transport. Simple (and that goes for the morons who buy scooters which cant go faster than 50, and proceed to travel on roads that are over 80)

WRONG. See above ;)

You mention they don't hold you up, there is a stretch of road near my place that they frequently ride that has a stretch of road with a solid unbroken line for 6K's.................should I follow the boke doing 20km/h in the 100km/h zone for 6K's?

Monkey's, refer to the above two quotes for some truth :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.