Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does my VE SS look written off

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, there might be an opportunity to buy the wreck and sell it for parts. Rumour has it that you can get amazingly high prices for VE parts in Tasmania.

:cool:
Diamond creek in Victoria and I think NSW. Didn’t know there was one in Tassie…

In any case, if wrecks command a good price, they won’t just give it to you as most insurance companies auction them off. And they know what they sell for so will change a reasonable % if you buy it direct…

May or may not be worth the effort depending on how much space you have to store the wreck while it’s being consumed by eBay sales…

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will be buying the car back as I’ve spent thousands on the running gear

I will be happy
If I get 24k
@ 225,000 kms, I’d expect your first offer would be around $7k (early series 1 v6?) so just be prepared to slog it out :oops:

As always with insurance, you’ve got work to do ;)

Oh, and these insurance types will say an average car has good mechanicals and will thus dismiss any spend an owner has made on driveline as it doesn’t increase a cars value… cause it’s the body and interior condition that defines the vehicles worth…. But then if your vehicle body and interior is perfect they then say that mechanicals are important because @ 225,000 it’s clapped out so isn’t worth what you think.. They like to argue their view of both is correct just to reduce the vehicles worth… And often they quote for older models which they then say was an honest mistake, oh sorry I thought yours was a series 1… So be prepare counters to their bullshite with examples of adverts for similar vehicles to yours, model variant, body, interior and driveline wise…

Really, I can’t emphasise it enough :rolleyes:

As is, it may take a month or more of haggling before you get what you want o_O so hope you have another car you can use in the interim ;)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
@ 225,000 kms, I’d expect your first offer would be around $7k (early series 1 v6?) so just be prepared to slog it out :oops:
He’s got a SS so it’s worth a lot more than $7k. :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
He’s got a SS so it’s worth a lot more than $7k. :cool:
Ah, I did quickly scan the thread but must have missed where he said he had a SS. but what series & year?

A 2009 VE SS wagon has a private sale range of $19,600– 22,900 according to redbook… but it wouldn’t surprise me the insurance company offer $15,400 being the lower of the trade price :mad:

According to carsales they start at $20k and go up…

Settling on $25k shouldn’t be difficult but may be shortchanging one’s self so I’d aim higher :cool:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I will be buying the car back as I’ve spent thousands on the running gear

I will be happy
If I get 24k

If you are happy with the car mechanically, and depending upon what you are thinking of doing with the ‘running gear’, it might be easier and simpler to push for it to be repaired instead?

You might have to await the formal assessment to find it if repair is practical at all (as it might be complicated by being classified as a ‘structural write off’).

I haven’t any personal experience with repair vs payout, but from what I understand there is a bit of a grey area where it can go either way, and the insurance company will often err towards the preference of the owner as to which way to go (fix vs $) in those cases.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It may come down to parts availability. If parts can't be sourced or take too long to source then they will write it off regardless.