Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does my VE SS look written off

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No it doesent because his insurance is only third party so only covers me I think
At least with the other driver having 3rd party property, you can still get your car repaired/replaced without you being out of pocket, by following the advise given, especially by skylarking and J-D 2.0......

With 3rd party property, the person that hit you has to fork out for his own car because his insurance doesn't cover that.

And a side note....Skylarking and I have butted heads on many an occasion about numerous things....With that being said, his knowledge relating to these things is on point.....So something to bear in mind over it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I was of the understanding that if you hit from behind and shunted into the car in front it's automatically a stat write off, unless laws are different re this in other states?

No.....It goes on the cost of the damage to the car.....It just so happens, being hit from behind and pushed into another car just creates more damage and quite often this does mean the cost of repairs outweighs the cost of replacement....

So in a nutshell, it isn't a blanket rule anywhere really... :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No it doesent because his insurance is only third party so only covers me I think
I wouldn’t care whether his insurance covers his vehicle or not, only whether he has at least 3rd party property coverage to cover the innocent party so they aren’t out of pocket…

In one case I had, an idiot ran into the back of me because I needed to stop for the car in front of me which was turning into a driveway. I saw in my rear vision mirror that the idiot was texting but I also had oncoming cars so had nowhere to go. I could only sit and relaxed and wait for the hit… seemed like minutes but was just seconds… yes the guy in front was a little slow at turning but the crash was because of the idiot behind me…

The idiot was apologetic and provided his details but it later turned out he didn’t have insurance for his one year old car… and then wouldn’t return my calls to provide his policy number. So I ended up claiming through my insurance company but had some annoyance around excess and later headaches around car hire car costs.

But the repair was done really well…

It was just my insurer being a topical snotty insurance companies and playing their game of bluff… Excess was quickly sorted but the hire car costs they say can only be claimed from the 3rd party according to my insurer. But because he wasn’t answering calls, letters and such, and didn’t have insurance, my insurer said it wasn’t commercially worth taking him to court for $4k repair costs. So I highlighted that they aren't looking after my interests as I expected from my policy and if they want to throw away $4k of repair costs because it isn’t commercially viable to take him to court that’s their choice. But then I asked them what the break point was and they didn’t really want to answer. I suggested my hire car costs won’t make the total go over the threshold so they may as well add my hire car costs to their commercially “not viable to chase” loss. Combined with the wording in the policy where they require the right to take matters to court, and their choice to not do so on commercial grounds, and my real annoyance and mention of AFCA, they simply changed their tune and added my car hire to their loss…

Just shows that comprehensive insurance coverage is really important to protect you from uninsured at fault drivers out there. Iff I only had 3rd party policy, I‘d have been out of pocket the repair and hire car costs…

Still, I hate insurance companies and their bullshite behaviours, especially when they try and not follow their own policy wordings and have to be pulled up on such shitfuckery.

And I don’t have any sympathy for the plight of others who cause crashes and don’t have atleast 3rd party coverage. They are adults and made a commercial choice in the type of coverage or to insure not to insure… If the at fault party ends up having to take pubic transport, pun intended, so be it. That’ll teach them to buy a better policy :p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The idiot was apologetic and provided his details but it later turned out he didn’t have insurance for his one year old car…
No doubt said idiot was disobeying the terms of their car loan that specifies that you must have comprehensive insurance as a condition of the car loan!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was of the understanding that if you hit from behind and shunted into the car in front it's automatically a stat write off, unless laws are different re this in other states?
There are rules around the type of damage that requires a vehicle to gets flagged as a statutory write off on NEDVIS (which is an Australia wide database). These rules were being standardised across all states though I’m not sure if all states have accepted these rules as yet…

Insurance companies just follow the rules…

Repairable write offs are a pain PITa to get back on the road and have added costs around certification engineers checking the repair and such… Just not worth it unless its a special car to everyone…

IIRC, there are also convoluted state rules around how stat writeoff vehicles can be taken off the database and put back on the road… But it’s very difficult, the vehicle must be a special vehicle, over a specific age and such fluffy and undefined things… Generally no one will keep a stat right off garaged for years and years hoping that it’s special status will be acknowledged in some future time… Normally these stat writeoffs end up being wrecked before being crushed… (if they are allowed to be wrecked, salt water damaged are not allowed to be wrecked).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
No doubt said idiot was disobeying the terms of their car loan that specifies that you must have comprehensive insurance as a condition of the car loan!
I believe he also had businesses issues and others were chasing this guy. Guess, if he had a lease or loan, that company would just have to get in line… :p

Really hate people who don’t take responsibility for their mess and expect others to carry their load and mistakes, losses, whatever :mad:

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Farking je-bus. As someone who has only ever been involved in 1 crash (rear ended my mate at an intersection doing less than 20kmh), reading this thread makes me appreciate my sheer luck. For the first couple years my vy was insured full comp but let my policy lapse. Living in a country city, the risk was somewhat reduced. But moving interstate and dealing with real city driving, my new baby is insured market value full comp. let hope i never have to go thru this colossal headache people are talking about.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Farking je-bus. As someone who has only ever been involved in 1 crash (rear ended my mate at an intersection doing less than 20kmh), reading this thread makes me appreciate my sheer luck. For the first couple years my vy was insured full comp but let my policy lapse. Living in a country city, the risk was somewhat reduced. But moving interstate and dealing with real city driving, my new baby is insured market value full comp. let hope i never have to go thru this colossal headache people are talking about.
My vt has full comprehensive insurance. They wouldn't do 3rd party only.
Insurance is for when you hit that million dollar Mercedes up the as#e. Or any expensive cars.:oops:
Hence insurance. Its really just in case. But we all know sh#t happens. And Mr Murphy likes to stick his nose into our business. :) ;) :cool:

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Well murphy must have been too busy sniffing all yalls butt cracks for the last 16 years to mess with me. He didnt even mess around when i nearly had a head on at 110kmh going up the brand hwy. lady luck was on my side that day

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Well murphy must have been too busy sniffing all yalls butt cracks for the last 16 years to mess with me. He didnt even mess around when i nearly had a head on at 110kmh going up the brand hwy. lady luck was on my side that day
With me sh#t always happens. Can't escape it. So my motto has been avoid it if l can, cause sh#t happens. Don't tempt the fates. :) ;)