Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Don't burn me VY.....

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
So how many cars do you have at your place?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So, silly me!
Had completely drained the engine and radiator, via the lower rad hose.
Read the VS manual and it is a 12litre system.
So put 4L of rain water in, then started with the coolant concentrate - probably only managed 2-3 litres. Then remembered that like the V8, the engine will hold a portion of water in the block below the water pump height.
DOAH!
This would put me at about 20% coolant to water ratio.

Oh well, plan B - drain about 3litres off (and use that in the truck) and add the last of the concentrate before topping off with pre-mix.
As long as coolant to water is 33% or better I'll be happy.

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A slightly lower concentration won't hurt.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Rocker cover bolt grommet replaced! So chance of actual burning me is greatly reduced.
Have 3 spares for who knows when.
Degreased that side headers and area, and also the power steering reservoir.
Refitted the engine cover, all be it with only two nuts.
Does anyone know what size those studs are without me having to measure one?
I might put 2 normal nuts with flat washers on to hold the back of the cover down.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Re-rego check today. - FAIL! (Of course)
- adjust handbrake (I actually noticed this the morning of dropping it off, but too late to do anything so no surprises)
- leaking power steering and RH boot. (Now I've given this a clean to see what happens. Was it left over from the rocker leak I fixed? Or is the p/s return line weeping? Guess I'll find out next time I start it and drive)
- corrosion on the boot seam (now this is a bit of a long shot, but I will admit it is around the catch, but after a wire wheel there appeared no deterioration of the surface thickness. I'm going to question this one with them. Anyway, P.A 10 on it to protect it)

1670398156804.jpg
1670398156695.jpg
1670398156652.jpg
1670398156520.jpg

I've got 20 working days for it to be all sorted and re-checked.

Might adjust handbrake this weekend and see what happens around p/s pump and go from there.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Tried handbrake adjustment at the disc today. I couldn't get the star spinning I don't think.
RH has alot more cable flop than the LH side.
3rd gen don't have centre cable adjustment like 2nd gen do.
I started adjusting at the lever, but something just didn't feel right and it wasn't really helping at the wheels so undid it.
RH rear disc wouldn't come off, ran out of time, so put it all back together.
I did lubricate the toe adjuster's while I was there though.
Oh, and noticed the driveshaft centre bush is completely flogged.

Immortality sent me the brakes section of the factory manual, so read that. Read an old JC thread.
Basically need to have another go another day, get the disc off, clean it all and probably un-seize the star adjuster.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Had a go at the handbrake adjustment again today.
For a start, my truck started on glow plug only (no engine start spray) and moved to the grass so the commy could get good working space close to the tool box, so that was good.
Adjusted the lever way off too. Factory spec is about 20mm of thread showing, whereas this was easy double that.
Wire wheel on the battery drill, hammers, brakleen, etc etc and RH rear disc was off.
Pulled shoes off, and pulled adjuster pistons (or whatever you want to call them) out for a good clean and re-lube. Reassembled and adjusted until the disc was just shy off touching to go back on (to minimise adjustment through the stupid little hole), adjusted to around 5clicks on the lever. Caliper and wheel back on - then full repeat on the other side.
Adjusted the cable at the lever end to take up the slack. And then adjusted a fraction more so that 3 clicks on the lever holds the car when in drive and your foot off the brake.

Yeah it was an easy 3hours (at a guess) because of stubborn discs. But very satisfied with the result in the end.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You're getting there :)

We just got the WOF sorted on Mr22's BMW. He's planning on coming down your way for new years with his mates, they've booked an Air bnb for a couple of nights.