Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dont let the sharks on ebay rip you off

C

coobs

Be very very carefull on ebay

I have encountered a seller that uses his mates logins to bid and push up the price of the items he has advertised, very dodgy and it happens a lot, maybe not on car parts but in many other catagories.
Just be careful.

Cheers Coobs

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
yeah ive seen things go time after time on ebay for more than you can buy straight from holden even second hand items more than new items but it depends what your after, a lot of items are cheaper i just bought a couple of genuine items one was an indicator stalk brand new set me back a whole $10.99 inc postage works a treat also a used central locking kit inc wiring looms for $180 inc postage (thats with a BCM and a remote head) holden have quoted me $345 for one door lock mechanism and about $300 odd for the wiring loom and about $500 ish for the BCM without remote head

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
eBay "Ripoff or Bargain"

Hey you guys came up with some great views but you forgot 1 thing, not every body has a Holden dealer down the road.
eBay has opened up a lot of doors for some who could only by brand new from internet sellers who aren't always that cheap.
Try ringing most, not all, Holden dealers and ask them to post the parts you want to your door. I said not all because some of the holden dealers are moving slow stock through eBay.
I don't buy many car parts but I built up a $4-5,000 pushie for around $2000 using eBay.
Don;t let a few bad experiences put you off there are some great bargains out there and not just on eBay. The internet has really opened up competition.
Good luck to all.

wikid_sticks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs spac, pantha mica, vy ss rims
i bought my genuine hsv vs plastic grille for about $45. do a search for hsv grille and see what people are paying $75 minimum for em. someone wants $95 bid now or buy for $195 lol.

surfwagon, most of the items, you still have to pay for shipping anyway. you dont have to go into holden. you can email or phone em up and find the part your after and get it delivered.

i think you have to be carefull and always do research before you buy something off ebay, or in general. I do research and reviews on anything i buy these days.. thank god for the internet hey :)

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
A long thread may result with anything about Ebay, there would not be anyone that has used Ebay regularly that's not been sold the wrong item, received something that's a cheap POS, right up to straight out being ripped off completely receiving nothing, I certainly have.

The drama with Ebay is not just the scum using it to sell crap etc but the lack of "any" support from Ebay when something does go wrong, to only be told buyer beware after all your money dissapeared or in a non US based language "stiff sh1t".

Clothes are something I buy with good success, just don't buy from so called Ebay shops selling new stuff, the gear is mostly fake chinese copies, Quicksilver, Billabong etc all made in china "they advertise these manufacturers everywhere" and not only are they fake but they are proud of making these good copies, different labels, poor stiching and so on give em away.

It's not just clothes, every category have 30% + fake gear for sale, yet Ebay does nothing, why would they ? they are making a killing.

Private sales of s/h goods are in the main genuine sales no matter what the item, buying new DVD's, most PC gear, jewelery, electronics etc will show up the fakes real quick, the DVD you buy at Kmart costing $20 are worth no more than $1 in the fake wholesale trade so the sellers make a fortune with 1000% profit margins.

Mobile phones that are obviously stolen or at least old factory seconds sold by new users having no feedback etc.

Bahhh.

F

flipsyde

Also on EBAY beaware when buyin rims as most of tha cheaper rims on der are brands we havent herd of before and some dont even mention tha brand just tha wheels actual name... This mean it can be hard to find a spare rim if u damage one by hitting a kerb. I also think der cheap in quality like me mate for example hit a kerb while hangin it out in tha rain (dumb fuk) tha rim exploded n was fuct n now his findin it really hard to find a replacement. Ive hit tha sellers up on ebay b4 askin if they will sell a one of rim and they said " yeah " but who knows

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I got knocked back for a roadworth check by the RACQ because the mechanic couldn't find the Australian Compliance stamp on the wheels (genuine factory GMH mag wheels!) - I had to show him a picture of the rims in the owners manual before he would issue one. He reckoned that he wouldn't issue a RWC unless they had that compliance stamp as if an accident happened they could get him for issuing a bad RWC. Bit of a joke really but this bloke was fair dinkum.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
hako said:
I got knocked back for a roadworth check by the RACQ because the mechanic couldn't find the Australian Compliance stamp on the wheels (genuine factory GMH mag wheels!) - I had to show him a picture of the rims in the owners manual before he would issue one. He reckoned that he wouldn't issue a RWC unless they had that compliance stamp as if an accident happened they could get him for issuing a bad RWC. Bit of a joke really but this bloke was fair dinkum.

umm what ?

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
eBay Sharks.......or stupid buyers ......?

Is it eBay "sharks" that are the problem, or stupid, uneducated (in market prices and auctions) buyers that are the problem ? Auctions reflect what the value of the part is worth to the buyer - unless of course, they get swept up in the "win an auction" at all cost mentality !:thumbsup:

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
I actually paid more recently by NOT buying off Ebay. Had to replace the radiator. On ebay I could have got one for about $185 + $20 postage, with a wait of about 7 days, but I bought one from the nearest major town. Cost, $234 + $13.60 freight from this town, delivered the next day. Not worried about the freight, as the fuel cost to get to the town & back is about $15. The way the radiator was leaking I didn't want to risk driving over to buy it. Plus I was working at the time so couldn't go get it anyway.