Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dont let the sharks on ebay rip you off

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Hako, GMH would not make the wheels personally, I know in respect of one company I worked for, as I worked in the toolroom making the dies for the rim centres for several years of GKN Sankey Benson, at Flemington west NSW, a wheel maker of some quality, steel wheels of all sizes and cast alloy wheels.

Mo matter the car to be fitted on they made literally dozens of wheel types, steel wheels to fit anything from a mini to a mack and a dozen different designs of alloy wheels all cast and machined on site.

I have never seen any other casting logo but for the small GKN usually placed on the inside of the rim section in respect of alloy wheels, any brand was put on the plastic wheel centre.

Sure there are other companies that make wheels, likely dozens of em, although many will be overseas based, as to having some fool knock back a wheel due to no ASA standards sticker is somewhat a puzzle, I never saw any ASA sticker at the manufacturers end of things.

The wheels would be rejected if too wide or a design not safe or approved here, so it's possible they were made elsewhere, some makes of split wheels will be rejected due to safety, what design were they ?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
digisol said:
Hako, GMH would not make the wheels personally, I know in respect of one company I worked for, as I worked in the toolroom making the dies for the rim centres for several years of GKN Sankey Benson, at Flemington west NSW, a wheel maker of some quality, steel wheels of all sizes and cast alloy wheels.

Mo matter the car to be fitted on they made literally dozens of wheel types, steel wheels to fit anything from a mini to a mack and a dozen different designs of alloy wheels all cast and machined on site.

I have never seen any other casting logo but for the small GKN usually placed on the inside of the rim section in respect of alloy wheels, any brand was put on the plastic wheel centre.

Sure there are other companies that make wheels, likely dozens of em, although many will be overseas based, as to having some fool knock back a wheel due to no ASA standards sticker is somewhat a puzzle, I never saw any ASA sticker at the manufacturers end of things.

The wheels would be rejected if too wide or a design not safe or approved here, so it's possible they were made elsewhere, some makes of split wheels will be rejected due to safety, what design were they ?

They are 5 spoke - with the 5 spokes spiralling anti-clockwise - 205/65R15 - on the cast is A61 and 92042552 plus a possible GKN logo but hard to discern. They are pictured in either the owners manual or a Gregorys or Ellerys manual - I've just searched for the pix but cannot find :ranting: The mechanic at the RACQ had me worried as I'd just bought the car and if the wheels were not correct then I'd have to replace them $$$$$$ and when you need a RWC the machanic can make or break you. But like I said before, I found the picture of what VS wheels could look like i.e. plastic or alloy optional. One would imagine that the RACQ would know what the requirements were about ASA stamps etc however from what you say they just don't exist. Regards

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I can only speak of the GKN company, and then only of what I saw personally, the alloy wheels were sold / shipped without the plastic centres showing any particular brand, from memory they made wheels for ROH and many others that had a relatively solid design with 6 -8 oval cut outs and such, most would be familiar with that old design, it can be a bit like buying Home Brand cheese, it could come from Bega, Kraft or any number of other company sold in bulk for re-packing.

Sure the guy giving out the RWC has you at ransom, some get their jollies from making it hard for the petrol head they don't like for whatever reason, I've done the motor transport boogie, getting very good at swapping over lowered springs and even engines deemed not legal as the DMT are god with such matters.

Some wheels may have specified off road use tags on the boxes, being obviously not a legal width or an approved design, dragster rear wheels, speedway rims, and many others may fall into that category as obviously not meant for use on any registered car, others that are split or joined together may also be classed as unsafe for street use, one would need to see the actual laws pertaining to wheels.

Then again those that just appear to be held together by dozens of allen head bolts are in fact one piece rims, the bolts just being fake studs or plastic fakes.

Those obviously not legal that are sold at the likes of Bob Jane etc etc may well have fine print in the sale removing the seller from any liability of using the wheels on the road.

Anyway when getting the RWC bung on a stock set for the day.