Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E2 Senator or E3 R8?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Thanks for your time UFO! You have made some very useful points for me to consider. As I have never bought a brand new car nor have I ever spent close to the price I'm considering, I'm just seeking opinions and suggestions from people who have already justified the purchase of their HSV's. I don't know anyone personally that owns one.
The reason that I am comparing an R8 is because I asked myself what else could I buy for the price of an 09 Senator and am I making the right choice. Just part of the research process.
The Senator appeals to me because of its luxury features and intended market. I am not a "driver" who needs a GTS or the most powerful and angry car I can find. I want something that ticks all the boxes straight out of the box and i don't have to change. The Senator does that more than an SS, R8 or GTS.
The Senator is my preferred option it's just a big expense and a big commitment.

From a depreciation point of view I think the R8 would be way worse than any HSV, not that any of them are good resale wise. As for justifying the money - thats something for you to decide. I'd hunt around and get the best Senator my money could get if that's what you want. For me, the step from SSV to Clubsport didn't justify the money. The Senator is a big jump over both of them. I'd look for an E3 myself - much better than the E1 or 2 from a technical perspective.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Senator.

/Thread
/Topic
/Discussion...

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Hmmmm second hand car c/w 160,000 km on the clock for $70k??? Each to their own I suppose. You can get a new Senator for bugger all more than that.

Reaper

Yeah... but that 2nd hand car is a BMW, not a Holden. A BMW that's a few years old is going fair a lot better than a Holden of the same vintage.
Plus it's the V10 powertrain... sounds like nothing else Holden makes :love:.

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Have you consided a Calais V ?? Just a thought.......

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
buy the calais for 40-50 n spend the other 25-15k on mods?

Massive jump from a Calais to a Senator that is quite difficult to mod out of.

Yeah... but that 2nd hand car is a BMW, not a Holden. A BMW that's a few years old is going fair a lot better than a Holden of the same vintage.
Plus it's the V10 powertrain... sounds like nothing else Holden makes .

Hmmm - well as one of the few on this site who have genuinely had to make this choice recently, I chose the Holden :eek:. The BMW does have a few things going for it but there are plenty of negatives as well. Further to that, any 160,000km car is getting into major maintenance territory and I'm tipping anything to do with a V10 is going to cost a bomb. Further to that, a Senator of similar vintage is going to be waaaay cheaper than $70k ;)

Reaper