Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VL] EASY $30 DIY Cold Air Induction!

JST-23Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
I don't have mine sealed tho, for a couple of reasons

Reason 1.
It's faster at the track with the over radator one open as well (I've tried it both ways)

Reason 2.
I can drive through a swamp if I have both intakes without wrrying about stalling or water intake

Reason 3.
Don't need anymore reasons after 1. really :p

They do make more power by the way, alot more, it's also easy to talk your way into it being legal on a VN/P since HSV had one of their cars ADR approved with this hole in it. Bit harder to justify it on the other models, but the later cars are setup for over the radiator anyway

the over the radiator one probly would work better on our car but on vls if you notice how the front end sits higher than the later models so hardly any air gets there so its not to good for vls... and i dont plan on driving through a swamp or do any river crossings:p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
On an 8 they do, but a 6? I have yet to see any 6 make more power by doing any kind of CAI.

Immortality gained at least 8rwhp back to back on his gtech I beleive (V6) I'm not sure on the exact figure but it was alot, On my 5 litre it was the first time it starting to loose traction going into 2nd gear and I allready have the over the radiator on it before, Between two drag meetings I went from 9.45 to 9.25? the only changes were swaping a 2.25 inch cat back to a 2.5 inch and the bumper mounted intake. The exhaust shouldn't have been worth anymore than .1 over the 1/8th mile, since you usually gain only .2 at the most going from stock 2.25 to headers and a 3 inch (over the full 1/4) so the intake must have been worth at least .1. I could feel the difference just on the intake and you know it's a big gain when that happens. It's not the kind of mod that will show up on a dyno, 80km/h seems to be the sweet spot where it really starts to work

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Immortality gained at least 8rwhp back to back on his gtech I beleive (V6) I'm not sure on the exact figure but it was alot, On my 5 litre it was the first time it starting to loose traction going into 2nd gear and I allready have the over the radiator on it before, Between two drag meetings I went from 9.45 to 9.25? the only changes were swaping a 2.25 inch cat back to a 2.5 inch and the bumper mounted intake. The exhaust shouldn't have been worth anymore than .1 over the 1/8th mile, since you usually gain only .2 at the most going from stock 2.25 to headers and a 3 inch (over the full 1/4) so the intake must have been worth at least .1. I could feel the difference just on the intake and you know it's a big gain when that happens. It's not the kind of mod that will show up on a dyno, 80km/h seems to be the sweet spot where it really starts to work

That's what I'm saying though, you changed two things at the same time. Just about evey person who does some sort of CAI never does that mod alone. It's hard to say which mod did what. You'd be surprised at how much an exhaust can change the way a car accelerates.

And a Gtech is just simulation, not a real life dyno comparison. A bit like climate change.....lol

Oh, and can you get back to me about the memcal? I have one here ready to post.

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
If you have a look at the early group C Touring cars you find they removed the Airbox and made custom airbos that sit in the same place as the VL/VN air box...The box's had open top cover that sealed once the bonnet was shut.. The left corner behind the headlights has a high volume of airflow when driving..the amount of air flowing behind the lefthand headlight is phenomenal..the air flows behind the headlight and from the underside of the bonnet lip same as the group A CAI..

JST-23Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Good right up mate despite what some are saying
am still tossing wether to do this to my vl or not
does it actualy make that big of a differance or is there some overexagerating lol
cheers

thanks mate
wouldnt be a great deal of power gain but yeah,
u can deffinetly feel better throttle response.

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
Cold Air bro the colder and cleaner air the better..

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
good wright up. people have been doing this for years in their under powered imports.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I have a VP with an OTR CAI from the VS. Did i read correctly that adding a second CAI in the form of a pipe from the airbox base to front bar will make an improvement?or is it just one or the other.. Also, does cutting a hole in the guard, affect the structual rigidy in any way? Has any one performed this mod to a VP, and would happen to know what size piping, bends ect they used. I've had a look under the guard a few times considering this type of mod before, and i couldn't figure out how i would go about it...

opelcommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
maybe somebody will post any cold air intake tutorial for commodore vb ?