Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec for turbo?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
an ecotec has pushrods and alloytec has twin overhead cams, less friction and delay means more response and more power. theres also more advanced tuning on the alloytecs, adjustable cam timing/plenum. alloytec has a lower capacity than the ecotec but produces more power, more torque and more stable at high rpm .. also yields better fuel economy.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another Moose that thinks pushrods are outdated......How many forms of race cars do you see with overhead cams??? Absolutely nothing wrong with a pushrod engine! For me, i would stick with the Ecotec. Alloytecs haven't proven themselves enough yet!

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
ive never sais pushrod motors are bad, i own and will own pushrod motors in the future without a doubt. everything i said above is true and non-debatable .

sorry but they are outdated, if they werent then motors being built by every car manufacturer would be sicking with it, i cannot see a push rod falcon 190, toyota 200 or commodore 190 putting down those figures without overhead cams. the fact that these motors are noticeably smaller, but are putting out more power with ease than any previous holden v6. even the stock alloytec 190 has more power than a sc vs v6. go figure i know what im talking about and never said anything bad about pushrod motors, the fact is twin overhead cams is much better and efficient than a single cam working harder and under more load.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the alloytec makes more power because it uses a lot more revs to make that power. torque x rpm = power therefor more revs = more power. simple

considering all the money spent on the alloytec i don't think it's a great piece of kit. the 190 only makes 35nm more torque (and it has a higher CR 9.5 Vs 10.2) and more revs means more power. a ecotec with similar CR and a cam tha makes peak power at the same rpm would be similar in power levels. the only advantage that the alloytec has with the VCT is that it has more mild street manners with the power of a cam'd engine. i'd put up with a lumpy idle for that sort of power from the ecotec.

the standard l36 bottom ends not that fantastic but the l67 bottom end is rock solid an COME's stroker kit is fairly tough as well

at the end of the day peak power is not all that should be considered, the torque spread is just as important, it's torque that turns the wheels. the l67 may not have a great peak power level as it left the factory but it does have a decent torque curve. the l67 as it left the factory is fairly under cooked in my opinion

Last edited:

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
So, its got nothing to do with anything else on the engine?? Not the engine management, its all in the overhead cams.....Rubbish! I'm glad you know what you're talking about. Good for you!

read my post properly i clearly stated engine management is an advantage over the 3.8. ive written why an overhead cam motor works more efficiently than a push rod motor, instead of calling me a goose and saying thats rubbish, tell me why a pushrod motor is better than an overhead cam motor. there is no way possible a motor with pushrods is going to be better than the same motor with overhead/variable cams, less parts, less friction and less heat.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
I never once said that a Pushrod engine is "better" than an OHC engine! The difference between a roller cam pushrod engine (which the Ecotec is) compared to an OHC engine would be very minimal.....It wouldnt be under anymore load or working any harder than an Alloytec! I totally agree with Immortality, i don't think the Alloytec is the bees knees. The Ecotec is still a very good engine and very easy to mod because of the large array of aftermarket parts available for them. Don't even get started on the L67, because even though the power figures show the L67 to be a fair bit lower in power, it would reem an Alloytecs ass any day of the week!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
read my post properly i clearly stated engine management is an advantage over the 3.8. ive written why an overhead cam motor works more efficiently than a push rod motor, instead of calling me a goose and saying thats rubbish, tell me why a pushrod motor is better than an overhead cam motor. there is no way possible a motor with pushrods is going to be better than the same motor with overhead/variable cams, less parts, less friction and less heat.
The Alloytec might have better management stock for stock, but the Ecotec is 1000 times easier to tune, something that is very important in a FI setup.
I would also go with the Ecotec, ease of tuning, of the shelf proven parts (tasty turbos, ect), lighter car, cheaper initial outlay, etc.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
only because of the variable cam timing, which is what vtec is...... just get honda to tune it for ya!

there's a bit more to it than just that....
an example would be the fuel cut from the maf sensor - under boost its difficult to add the extra fuel needed because if you go to far with it the maf cuts fuel all together...which needless to say is catastrophic. there's alot of crap to get around to tune the alloytec's for boost, not saying it cant be done, buts its certainly no walk in the park.