Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec for turbo?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i don't know, the alloytec has been around for a few years now and i still don't see that much happening for it. even the ecotec/buick V6's have only become popular of recent years because of the much tougher P plater laws that you guys are getting

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
Sircruisealot, you would be better off going and banging your head against a brick wall.....Thats what i'm doing as we speak!

im having a decent discussion, i havent heard anything from any of you supporting your theory besides tuning issues, which is beside the point because IT IS possible and you cant say it isnt.

Last edited:

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
man - your impossible. your going off comparing engines and crap when im talking about tuning a delco pcm for an alloytec you twit, nothing else.
who cares if honda has a good engine or whatever it is your trying to say, its a completely moot point when we're here talking about an alloytec and how its difficult to tune for boost. thats it, nothing more...it doesnt matter if another engine with vvt has been tuned for boost before - its irrelivant man! :bang:
what im saying here is that in the case of which engine to choose out of ecotec and alloytec, the ecotec is the best choice at this point in time.
there's absolutely no point in decking an alloytec out with a blower and everything if you cant ever get it running right...

also, if you would read my first post, (which i would of left it at that) i only mentioned which motor is better and why. i didnt go into changing the subject, but you 2 with the ecotec are just not giving up. its ok to accept it as the better motor, because it is, even driving a stock alloytec over the ecotec is amazing.

go and try it and let me know what you think

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
Holden VZ Commodore / Calais - Media Release

i just did a quick google, maybe you should check it out. on top of what i said, 4 valves per cylinder.... an ecotec isnt going to compete considering the 175 poverty pack is even more punchy in stock form than the ecotec vy s2

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Holden VZ Commodore / Calais - Media Release

i just did a quick google, maybe you should check it out. on top of what i said, 4 valves per cylinder.... an ecotec isnt going to compete considering the 175 poverty pack is even more punchy in stock form than the ecotec vy s2

yes, the alloytec makes more power then the ecotec, is it a better engine? it's got to be but mostly in my opinion only because it has 4 valves per cylinder. considering the time and money spent on this engine i woulda expected a lot more. it does out perform the ecotec but not by that much. also holden never developed the ecotec much from it's very first model in the VS to the last version in the VY. you gotta give a big :thumbsup: to ford, they never sat on there hands when it came to there I6, they modified it for every model and look at it now, 300kw with a snail on the side. what have holden got, a 195kw alloytec that has stuff all torque. seriously for all the bull **** used on the alloytec it doesn't poerform that well.

now imagine the 3.8 with 4 valves per cylinder heads and variable cam timing, that woulda been a much better engine in my book. the yshould never have reduced the displacment, cubes = torque, torque x RPM = power 3.8powa

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
its technology we should of been using 10 years ago but it only now that car manufacturers have to 'keep up' with the world in car performance.

but remember the weight of these new cars, put a ecotec in a vs and an alloytec in a vs and the alloytec would hammer....

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
After reading the comments, I'd still go alloytec. Yeah there’s a load of parts for the eco and its been track tested and proven buy every man and his dog with great results and a parts list longer then, well its a long list lol... but that’s because its been around for a decade...

The alloy will have the same parts list as the eco in 5-6 years. I remember reading a thing I SC about the LS1, when it first came out everyone was like wtf this eng is going to be **** etc etc, now look at it!

I think this is where the alloytec will head as well, the potential for the eng beats the ecotec hands down. With the way fuel is going V6 are set to become the new V8's, just like what happened in England when fuel prices went bonkers, quick 4's came the best car. AUS will never go that low to have 4's running around but turbo'd and blown six's will be the norm. Some tuner companies are realising this and are tyring to develop the alloy, great move I say.

Conclusion, if you want a car that you can do up straight away, get the gains with proven results after years of testing NOW, buy the eco. If you want something new and uncharted, just like the LS1 was when it came out in the VT's, get the alloy. Great gains to be had out of this engine, its just going to take some time.

:)

Very well said! I agree that it would be a "proven results now!" vs "explore new territory and potentially blow away current results"

of course "exploring new territory" is a MUCH more costly exercise than just buying bolt on parts :p, and takes a LOT more time - but the results, and raising the bar for alloytec performance would be well worth it, IMO.

I think the alloytec will prove to be a great motor

From what i remember reading (and pls correct me if i'm wrong)

has
- aluminium block
- 6 bolt (4 down and 2 accross) mains?!
- under piston oil squirties!

From the factory the 190 revs to 6700rpm? (I wonder how much more potential there is there for big rpm? how well balanced is it?)

downside for turbo is the comp is like 10.2:1 - could be getting a little high for boost on crappy pump fuel, but you could always run that E85 fuel that's supposed to be getting approved in Aus in the next few years?

As for tuning..... well really if it's THAT much of an issue, you could just mechanically lock in the variable cam and intake manifold mechanisms, and go with a aftermarket ECU. (although some of these have provision for VCT a'la r32/r33 style - works on the same principle right?, so could probably still utilise them)

Would be great to find out what holden did to their 280kw torana concept TT motor?

The Alloytec engine is used widely around the world, with some models using cool stuff like direct injection! (and saab have a 2.8l turbo version as well, with comp dropped to 9.5:1)

(GM High Feature engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

IMO, if i had a fair few thousand bucks to play with, and wasn't in a hurry to rip top gear power skids, plus wanted to contribute a bit to the performance development of the Alloytec, i'd be going that way :)

Otherwise, if I wanted to spend as little money as possible for a proven, tested, safe and reasonably quickly do-able solution, I'd go with the Squeakotec!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hahahaha wow - and only 1 mention of a V8 which appears to have slid thru un-noticed.

Reaper