Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU holding Injectors open?

Stibblett

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec
Hi guys & girls,

Here's one for ya, start of the week my 04 VZ 3.6L V6, was overheating, (cracked radiator and old hoses) took to Holden first and they quoted above $1K, didn't like that too much so I took it to a local radiator guy, New Radiator, hoses & flush for around half that. Happy with that. however....

During the time the radiator bloke had it, she threw Powertrain Codes and was running very rough spewing smoke etc. There was an auto-shop next to him which had a quick look at it and advised that the ECU was holding open fuel injectors for 2 cylinders. The cost for him to source a new ECU and not be-able to program it was just too much, so i got him to disconnect the two affected fuel injectors and I managed to limp her home on 4cyl.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I no longer have the security code information for the vehicle and was wondering maybe AFI could source a new or 2nd hand ECU and re-match it to the other modules. I'm not sure this will even fix the problem, I have a strong technical background but very little with mechanics, so not 100% sure on the best option. Car is still showing trouble 'bit code' for position 16 , which i'm assuming is P0016 - Valve timing out of sequence bank 1 sensor 1 (camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor signals are indicating that cam timing is out.)

Advice?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The ECU can often develop issues with the injector drivers.
that may well be a generalisation of sorts because some work might need to be done to correctly diagnose that, but it seems like you have done some of that to find they are remaining open.

Get to a wrecker and by a set of ECU, Key, PCM, BCM etc, then no issues with reprogramming is needed and its cheaper.

If you need it reprogrammed, maybe get in touch with @Tazzl from Envyous Customs. Not sure if he still does the flashing for them?

Second hand ECU's can have their own set of issues (or maybe work perfectly), but it's worth a try.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
VZ ECUs drying out solder cracking seem to be a pretty common thing at the moment, have a look through the VZ section. To do an ECU swap, you need to find somebody with a Tech 2 to relink them, it's not done with a code.

Your engine code says to me that you might have skipped a tooth or stretched a timing chain though (which sounds consistent with your symptoms), so I think it would be worth trying to determine if that could be your issue before committing to an ECU. It isn't really a thing that happens to VZs though, but not impossible.