Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric windows not working

Callumbh5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore Calais
Hey team,

Did my thermostat and an oil change on the my 89 VN Calais V6 yesterday and after reconnecting the battery I’ve noticed none of my electric windows work, nor is there any illumination to the switch’s.

Have I blown something or is it locked since being reset? I noticed I had to unlock my stereo also.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Callumbh5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore Calais
Probably worth noting my passengers side rear window did work at all before this but the switch did illuminate

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Normally I don't disconnect the battery to work on the cooling system or change oil. Are the lights in the centre console window switches switching on? There's also a kid proof switch there that locks out the back windows- but your front windows should be unaffected.

The stereo system normally needs a code to restart after the battery's disconnected.

My passenger side rear window also burned out a motor - it's at the end of the longest cable runs and operates at the lowest voltage.

Callumbh5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore Calais
Normally I don't disconnect the battery to work on the cooling system or change oil. Are the lights in the centre console window switches switching on? There's also a kid proof switch there that locks out the back windows- but your front windows should be unaffected.

The stereo system normally needs a code to restart after the battery's disconnected.

My passenger side rear window also burned out a motor - it's at the end of the longest cable runs and operates at the lowest voltage.
Hey Mike, the centre console light switches aren’t illuminating which is odd.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Check fuse 11 and circuit breaker no.5. Does the driver's window work ? Its on separate a circuit from the others, bypassing the centre console.

Callumbh5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore Calais
Nothing works at the moment, will check after work, cheers
Hey Mike, put a new fuse in number 5 as the other one was blown, after putting the windows down it blew the fuse again, any ideas? Rear passenger side was still not working also

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I assume you have the window channels well lubricated.
Disconnect the window motors at the door switches and see if the fuses still blow. See if its caused one particular motor. My passenger side rear was burned out, worked intermittently and had to be replaced.
If you have to replace any motors the rivets have to be drilled out first. I then installed the replacement motor using rivnuts.
One thing I learned from the old motor/gearbox assembly after I replaced the passenger rear is that they can be dismantled and greased. I wish I'd done that on the motor/gearbox I replaced -it works but struggles due to voltage drop.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you pull the door mounted window switches out , leave them connected and check the voltage while yo operate the winders. You should get 10 V.

Disconnect the plug to the switches and check the motor resistance across the green and blue wires. You should have about 1 ohm.

I've freed stuck windows by connecting 14 odd volts from a battery charger to the green and blue wires- but you do risk burning the motors out.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Fuses blowing normally means short.

When they struggle they normally cut out for a few seconds but don't blow fuses. As @MikeC said silicon spray or grease Bailey channels.

Check your battery earth including for surface rust on body...............earth's generally. Clean terminals and surfaces and apply copper grease.

These cars run best with heavy earth cables. Mine is 0.01 ohms.

Last edited: