Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electronic Bi-Modal Valves

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
I've got an ESP32 based controller working now that communicates with a bluetooth OBDII adaptor to open the exhaust valves for 4 seconds whenever more than 50% throttle is used. Works well.
I've also used a small OLED display to show a few other values read from the OBDII adaptor, such as oil pressure and temperature, trans temp, fuel pressure.
I'd be very interested in seeing this. I've wanted to do something like that for a few years now, but don't have the time at the moment.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I've got an ESP32 based controller working now that communicates with a bluetooth OBDII adaptor to open the exhaust valves for 4 seconds whenever more than 50% throttle is used. Works well.
I've also used a small OLED display to show a few other values read from the OBDII adaptor, such as oil pressure and temperature, trans temp, fuel pressure.
Care to share your design?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I'd be very interested in seeing this. I've wanted to do something like that for a few years now, but don't have the time at the moment.

add a bluetooth receiver module to the project and connect it to a bluetooth elm327 obd reader and parse the AT commands in the arduino project to get the information needed like throttle position, speed etc.

you could even have the valves close to make the vehicle quieter when you go above 100kmh for freeway cruising.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Care to share your design?
Be happy to share, just need to get around writing it up properly I suppose.

The short of it is just as stooge describes.

You just need:
-generic ebay ELM327 bluetooth OBDII device
-HC-05 bluetooth module (HC-05 because that's able to function as a bluetooth host or whatever it's called)
-whatever display you want, if you want one. I used a .96" OLED display.

I used an ESP32 instead of an Arduino for this because they have a lot more RAM, and I ran out with an Arduino Uno by the time I included a few libraries for the display and for OBDII parsing.

There's a little bit of manual setup for the HC-05 module to pair it to the ELM327 adaptor. Then you write to the HC-05 adaptor from the Arduino/ESP through a serial like most Arduino modules and you're talking directly to the ELM327 module.
There's "ELMDuino" libraries ready to go for the simpler PIDs you'd want to read. For anything from the extended PID set (like oil pressure etc) I had to parse up myself and it's certainly not done particularly well in my code.

I used a Arduino Nano to actually control the valves, and one pin as the open/shut command interface between that and the ESP32. No reason to have separate modules like that except I wanted the functions to be independent.
Thin multicore wire was easy to run from the boot where the valve controller is around under the sill panels and into the centre console where the ESP32 is currently sitting in this prototype stage of the project. Can also power it through the cable from the same boot fuse as the valve controller itself.

Once you've got that data, you can obviously come up with whatever criteria you want for opening and closing the valves.
I found 50% throttle was a sweet spot for never opening under normal commute-type driving, which is what I was after.

Instead of using bluetooth, you can get a USB ELM327 adaptor, crack it open and bypass the USB interface, feeding the ELM327 serial directly into the ESP/Arduino serial pins. I got this working but then decided that I liked the electrical decoupling of the bluetooth approach. I'm sure CANBUS is fairly resilient, and the ELM327 adaptor would also have some isolation but I didn't like the thought of my prototype-maturity project toasting my ECU if something came apart.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I just leave the valves open, and they're still pretty quiet...

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
It's certainly not loud on aftermarket levels with the valves open. Not nearly as loud as my X-Force cat-back VX, for example.
But it still drones and is noisy and doesn't actually sound very good at low loads commuting in my opinion.
And the VF is such a nice quiet comfortable place to be to just melt away the commute after a day at work that I like to be able to keep it quiet.
But each to their own, this won't be the right project for everyone.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It's certainly not loud on aftermarket levels with the valves open. Not nearly as loud as my X-Force cat-back VX, for example.
But it still drones and is noisy and doesn't actually sound very good at low loads commuting in my opinion.
And the VF is such a nice quiet comfortable place to be to just melt away the commute after a day at work that I like to be able to keep it quiet.
But each to their own, this won't be the right project for everyone.

Yeah, utes don't drone. :cool:

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Same that wagons don't drone either......

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
doesn't actually sound very good at low loads commuting in my opinion.
All mechanical mufflers like the bimodals sound awful at low loads and have tinny/raspy note. They need to be perforated tube packed mufflers to produce a smooth and deep note down low. Lukey were the masters at muffler design producing a great note at all load and RPM ranges!