Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

end of an era coming?

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
just debadge your car and dont drive like an idiot then your alright its funny how they quote indigenious people in that article lol i bet 95% of them arnt even driving there own car probably stolen........why dont the ban 4wd vechiles there designed for off roading not normal day driving. This world is to politically correct nothing is going to stop people from having that split second of stupidity. I reckon the should ban immigrants from driving or make insurance a must have for everyone of else cop a fine. my ranttt

Retro_Class_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
I am Quoting from an Article in an automotive magazine, the article was published just after the laws were passed in NSW to ban high powered cars

Its a bit of a read but i think people how are passionate about this topic will find in very interesting

Let me spell it out to the activists, it isnt the type of car thats doing the killing, its the drivers behind the wheel. A Toyota Echo or a Daewoo Lanos can easily reach speeds of 150 kmph, meaning that if someone wants to drive fast, they will drive fast in whatever they get their hands on.

Heres an interesting thought, imagine doing 150kmph in a Holden Barina and doing the same speed in a Skyline GTR. The Skyline has more appropriate bump and rebound rates, up-rated swaybars, stiffer chassis, lower roll centre. Which would be the safer of the two cars?

Think of the two cars that newspapers want young drivers to be in - Standard Lancers & Accents. Theres nothing wrong with these cars, but the irony is that the media is recommending cars that put dirvers more at risk. All of these examples were rated in an independant test as providing below average occupant safety in the event of a crash. Yet the Stereotypical "Hoon" cars, the S15 200 SX, Subaru WRX, Holden SS Commodore, etc, all recieved better than average scores!!!

The Vehicle Restrictions also do not take into account the passive safety of performance models. Think about this example. Take a P Plater in a standard used & therefore affordable WRX Impreza. Take the same driver in their parents company car, most likely a newish Falcon or Holden Commodore. Under extreme turning forces, like those needed in an emergency situation, it would be the commodore that would be the most dangerous car for a young driver to be in, it boasts more power, doesnt have all wheel drive traction and is less nimble thanks to heavier mass and greater inertia. The commodore only recently has been equipped with ABS & traction control where as the WRX had these safety feature from its debut in 1994!

Newspapers decribe new and powerful road cars as "dangerous weapons" yet flick over to the motoring section of that same newspaper and they are being described as having exceptional "grip & safety"

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
A Toyota Echo or a Daewoo Lanos can easily reach speeds of 150 kmph, meaning that if someone wants to drive fast, they will drive fast in whatever they get their hands on.

Agreed, however the my dick is bigger than yours factor is less likely to happen in a Daewoo. There is more incentive to show off your driving skills and prove how fast and powerful your car is at the lights in a modified and/or V8 over a Suzuki swift. You know when the testosterone kicks in! :D

If you look at a couple of nasty accidents here in SA this year between drag racers, all were in modified performance vehicles. One could argue had any of the drivers been in a stock standard 4 banger, the incentive to drag race would have not occurred.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Agreed, however the my dick is bigger than yours factor is less likely to happen in a Daewoo. There is more incentive to show off your driving skills and prove how fast and powerful your car is at the lights in a modified and/or V8 over a Suzuki swift. You know when the testosterone kicks in! :D

If you look at a couple of nasty accidents here in SA this year between drag racers, all were in modified performance vehicles. One could argue had any of the drivers been in a stock standard 4 banger, the incentive to drag race would have not occurred.

I know of a certain older female hoon. She's got alot of testosterone......:p

DOOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0L
Is it a power to weight thing? Or just turbo and V8? Coz a stocka 253 auto HQ is hardly a high performance machine lol

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Is it a power to weight thing? Or just turbo and V8? Coz a stocka 253 auto HQ is hardly a high performance machine lol

I think its a combination, no v8, no supercharger, no turbo and no more then 200kw. But then i don't know what happens if the V8 is under 200kw etc etc?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
I think its a combination, no v8, no supercharger, no turbo and no more then 200kw. But then i don't know what happens if the V8 is under 200kw etc etc?

then there goes the idea of any parent about to buy thier child a toyota aurion or rav6, even the new high output motor from holdens is 210

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
well i think this law sucks personally, i wouldnt be allowed to teach my younger brothers to drive in my senator. I think that driving a car with somepower would benefit them because they can learn to appreciate it whilst under supervision. And when it comes time for them to buy their own car they will already have some experience and wouldnt be overwhelmed by the power.

DOOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0L
So they will have to go on "Factory power output" then, what are they gonna do, dyno every p platers car lol. there will be a loophole to have a powerful car, just got to find it

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
So they will have to go on "Factory power output" then, what are they gonna do, dyno every p platers car lol. there will be a loophole to have a powerful car, just got to find it

own it before the law is passed.