Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Running Temperature

VZ05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2005
Hi, I have a VZ 2005 Executive wagon on Factory Gas, I'm about to change the coolant and possibly the thermostat and I'm unsure whether the thermostat is operating correctly.

The engine temp currently runs between the 1/4 and about 0.5 of a centermeter above the quarter mark (1/4 mark when coasting or low loads, and just above, 5mm, when underload and hot weather), I'm interested to see the operating temperatures of other crew with VZ's to see their operating range and whether this is right?

2cool

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 SV6
Mine gets almost to the 3rd stroke and the fans come on, has never been past that. I dont know what temp that is though.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
When driving mine stays on the second bar and when idling for a while it will float between the second and third bars, as 2cool said just below the third bar the fans engage

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
From the VZ factory manual:

All Alloytec’s with a standard cooling system.

Stage 1 fan operation

ECM switch cooling fan on when:

• Air con is on and indicates 'Yes' to the ECM during speeds less than 30km/h

• Air con pressure is greater than 1500kPa

• Coolant temp is above 104 degrees C

• When the ignition is switched off and the coolant temp is above 117 the ECM will continue to power the fan for approx. four minutes.

• ECT senor failure

ECM switch cooling fan off when:

• Air con is on and indcates 'NO' to the ECM and coolant temp is below 99 degrees C.

or

• Air con is on and indcated 'Yes' to the ECM with pressure less than 1170kPa and vechicle speed is greater than 50km/h and coolant temp below 99 degrees C.

Stage 2 fan operation

ECM switch cooling fan on when:

• ECT error

• Coolant temp above 108 degrees C

• Air con pressure above 2000kPa

ECM switch cooling fan off when:

• Coolant temp above 103 degrees C

• Air con indicates 'No'

• Air con indicates 'Yes' and the pressure is below 1500kPa.

Thermostat opens at 82 degrees C

Fully opened at 95 degrees C

VZ05 your temp gauge description sounds about the same as mine

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive never seen a vz go past just over quater, you fellas with the higher needle reading dont have air locks in your system?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Ive had the Adventra fan stay on with ignition off, it did a 2 hour peak hour stop start trip from Penrith to Artarmon on a real hot morning.

In all our Zeds it runs pretty much like that, on 1/4 or just above. Just above the fan kicks in til it reaches just on the 1/4 mark, obviously coz the conditions have been met to activate the cooling fan.

If it reaches the 1/2 mark without any obvious reason, eg towing, super hot day, stop start etc then you have an issue.

Then again this is the Exec type dash Im referring too, other dashes might have a different needle reading for the same thing

VZ05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2005
Thanks for all you replys from what I've read the engine is running at the correct temperature. IPCOlsenVZ thanks for all the infomation i'll be sure to test the thermostat at the temperatures just to double check.
Here is a picture that I going to post if anyone is unfamiliar with the markings.

Attachments

• 25032008(003).jpg
    25032008(003).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,927

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
where that is seems to be the norm across our 3 Zeds, occasionally (like in traffic or stopped) it reaches a tad higher then that and sits just under the half way line til the fan kicks in and cools it down and brings the needle back to earth.

Dont forget, the engine is designed to run at a particular temperature range and having it too cool can cause damage :whistling

2cool

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 SV6
ive never seen a vz go past just over quater, you fellas with the higher needle reading dont have air locks in your system?

I have an SV6 which is different to the pick above, this is where mine sits and the arrow is where the fans come on and has never been past that

Attachments

• P1020757.jpg
    P1020757.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 2,266