Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV cars.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
He stated the government has been installing charging infrastructure in remote areas, even "where there is no grid"...
Really ? That explains Russell Quoit's wooden fence post EV charger. Ahhhh... I see the light !

And Albo's classic ........

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I don't know how much you can trust them, but BYD claims their batteries are the safest of all EVs and they have a very minute chance of catching fire.

Pretty sure BYD mostly use lithium iron phosphate batteries, which do have a lot lower risk of catching fire. Of course it’s a double edged sword because lifepo batteries have a lower energy density too.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I don't think the world will be exclusively electric. I think there will be a mix. I don't see heavy haulage working unless they can do battery swaps. I like what Edison Motors in Canada is doing, diesel hybrid with options from 1/2 ton truck (in the design stage) to full heavy haul/ logging trucks etc
Tesla seem do be doing fine with their semi's Tesla Trucks , but i think aviation will tend towards hydrogen

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Really ? That explains Russell Quoit's wooden fence post EV charger. Ahhhh... I see the light !

And Albo's classic ........
Absolute clown this bloke.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don't think the world will be exclusively electric. I think there will be a mix. I don't see heavy haulage working unless they can do battery swaps. I like what Edison Motors in Canada is doing, diesel hybrid with options from 1/2 ton truck (in the design stage) to full heavy haul/ logging trucks etc

It’ll be interesting to see if the rail system is utilised more? It’d be relatively easier to electrify a long haul train line, then to electrify a fleet of long haul trucks.

I do recall there were rumours many decades ago that the government underfunded the train system as it wasn’t in the interests of a particular trucking magnate. So, Australia uses trucks to haul freight between capital cities instead of rail. It’s strange to see that America uses their rail system for long distance haulage, and only uses trucks for the ‘final miles’, or close to final miles haulage.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I wouldn't mind a small EV, something for short trips around town to do the shopping in.
Wouldn't have to do so many oil changes in the ute's.
Could trickle charge it overnight with a standard 10amp plug.

Last trip to NZ we had a Kia Nero.
As we were staying in a country town with lots of small runs or at most say 20km to the next town, it was brilliant. Loved the no cranking to start and all that. Only the longer drives caused a small bit of anxiety.

I'd be tempted to suggest a small EV to the olds or G'ma for the runabouts.

On the grid stuff. We would be needing alot more generation to supply it.
It's easy to slam a bunch of Solar Farms up Bush (which I've been to a few big ones lately) but then the lines are limited to get that back to the areas where they make more sense.
But on the flip side. Some areas near suburbia already have good generation. The Grid side of things has alot more playing in the background than people possibly realise.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It’ll be interesting to see if the rail system is utilised more? It’d be relatively easier to electrify a long haul train line, then to electrify a fleet of long haul trucks.
The current NZ government is in the pocket of the trucking industry. A fair bit of our main trunk line in the North Island is electrified but there are patches that aren't so it's not efficient. Labour would poor lots of money into rail and then National bleeds it dry in favour of trucks on our roads.

One of the first acts of this government was to cut funding to Kiwi Rail, right after they fucked up the Cook straight ferries.

I do recall there were rumours many decades ago that the government underfunded the train system as it wasn’t in the interests of a particular trucking magnate. So, Australia uses trucks to haul freight between capital cities instead of rail. It’s strange to see that America uses their rail system for long distance haulage, and only uses trucks for the ‘final miles’, or close to final miles haulage.
Back, many decades ago before it was deregulated that was exactly how NZ haulage worked. Long distance on train and trucks for local deliveries.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Tesla seem do be doing fine with their semi's Tesla Trucks , but i think aviation will tend towards hydrogen

But how wide spread is there use?

The US trucking industry is a bit different to NZ, you have truckies that drive all over the US. They live out of there trucks driving their hours and parking up at truck stops over night where as a lot of the trucks here in NZ are owner drivers with relief drivers, the owner will do the day shift and the relief driver the night shift. The truck is moving day and night so no time to re-charge for half a day.

I'm also not sure about how well those Tesla trucks do in the real world, sure they love the US highways but how appropriate would they be on our roads or in the hills?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you notice, mainly European cars have space saver spares, or none....That's because the towns are so close...

Same principal with battery powered trucks..Suited to countries where towns are close together....Aussieland (not too sure about NZ) have towns that are wide spread....So makes life extremely difficult to operate them successfully, especially at this stage...Maybe decades down the track, it'll be different...Time will tell there though

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
@Immortality I suppose when large companies like Pepsi using Tesla Trucks then there seems to be a place, but as pointed out fossil fuels are finite, so we have to find and alternative regardless off all the other reasons to change. We only have a handful of alternatives, renewables, which does include hydrogen as it is being developed as a green fuel, so really all told we don't have many choices at this stage.
EDIT: Another large company Amazon using electric, using what could be considered a large EV. And our own Aus Post utilizing electric.

Last edited: