Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV cars.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Fossil fuels will run out eventually , what then?
Exactly, not sure what the plan is to run ships that use 1000s of litres per hour.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I guess hydrogen is still an option but it is still hard to produce at this stage in great quantities, the only other viable option for container ships might be nuclear but i think cost might be prohibitive and risky going by last weeks disaster.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I guess hydrogen is still an option but it is still hard to produce at this stage in great quantities, the only other viable option for container ships might be nuclear but i think cost might be prohibitive and risky going by last weeks disaster.

The good thing about ships is that they basically float, so very little energy is required to keep them afloat (other than the stabilisation system). Planes on the other hand do require energy to keep them in the air.

I’m not sure what will be used to propel the ships sans fossil fuels, but we did have sailing ships that only used wind many moons ago. So I wonder if some sort of wind assisted propulsion might be used along with some other sort of energy system?

We did seem to put a lot if reliance on air freight for a lot of things, but maybe we’ll revert back to shipping (or revert back to more shipping, and less air)?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
The good thing about ships is that they basically float, so very little energy is required to keep them afloat (other than the stabilisation system). Planes on the other hand do require energy to keep them in the air.

I’m not sure what will be used to propel the ships sans fossil fuels, but we did have sailing ships that only used wind many moons ago. So I wonder if some sort of wind assisted propulsion might be used along with some other sort of energy system?

We did seem to put a lot if reliance on air freight for a lot of things, but maybe we’ll revert back to shipping (or revert back to more shipping, and less air)?
New Boeing Blended Wing might help in the interim as far as being far more efficient , or mabe Airlander 10 , something that could share the load.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Exactly, not sure what the plan is to run ships that use 1000s of litres per hour.
Or long-haul aircraft which might uplift 100+ Tonnes of JetA1 to cross the Pacific.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Those colossal container ships are the most efficient at moving cargo from point a to point b.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
My money is on these, very underrated.
OIP.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Ships need power to keep them on course...

Have a read about the ship that took out the bridge in America and the cause....Hint, loss of power had a hand in the accident

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Boats use a lot of power to keep them moving. A boats engine is constantly under load unlike a car that coasts somewhat once it gets up to speed. A boat motor is never efficient like other forms of transport. But then again carrying capacity it would take many, many planes to carry the same load. I don't see us losing sea transport.