Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extending fuel economy

antvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged V6 VT S
my super6 vt gets about 500 - 600kms per tank.

fatduck84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Boring White VT
i only get 400 if i lucky i used to get more out of my vr

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
i just my Gregory's and it says 75 liter tank for all models from VT to VX V6 and V8....

P

paul kafka

I just picked up a VXII SS 6 speed last week. I'm surprised to have gotten 380ks so far, with just under a quarter of a tank of 98 Ron to go. My boss claims his brand new SSZ auto Crewman is pathetic on juice and reckons he only gets about 350ks per tank.

I've been taking it pretty easy most of the week with only a little hooning. I'm sure I could have done a lot better if driving this thing wasn't so much fun.

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
Roh said:
Hi all, I get about 700-750km from a tank of 98 Octane fuel (only takes 60l but guage says empty) and was wondering if there was any way of improving the fuel economy. I know this range isn't bad but 1000k's per tank would be a lot better!! Can it be done without hurting the engine?
Right, I am about to blow ALL your theories out of the water guys!! Dubbo to Melbourne in a VX1 'S' on a tank of good ol' everyday 91 Unleaded and still had about 8-10 ltrs left. that's 825kms! Oh, and the boot was loaded!!! and 2 passengers!! So to all of you trying to UP your economy on 98RON etc etc, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!! It ain't worth it, especially in a normally aspirated Ecotec. This was also done on Cruise control at the speed limit (90% 110km/h), no "granny footing" just sparing use of the brakes, no cruise control through towns and resume once on open road. I suppose if we did try Granny footing 1000+kms on the tank wouldn't be out of the question. Now, on the trip up we had an extreme head wind, never mind though, it still got to Gilgandra on 72 Litres of 91 Unleaded! that's 895kms that time! SO you see, it's not the special fuel you use that counts, it is the fuel it's tuned for that counts! Try it, you might be surprised! Go to VY as well if you'd like to read about my Clubby and how it went on the same trip.

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
We did exactly the same a few years ago in a VT Series 1 although it was an olympic ed so not sure if they had a bigger tank ??? Boot was jam packed I reckon you couldnt even fit an extra pair of socks in.

5 of us in the car, 110 all the way except for towns, air con all the way too. Long ass flat open roads obviously will get better econ that mixed highway and around town driving.

P

paul kafka

I just filled up tonight. I'm very happy with my around town usuage. I ended up getting 418kms from the 66 litres I used in my first tank of fuel. I think thats great going for such a big engine. My boss doesn't believe it. He still reckons he's using much more than mine in his Crewman. He probably is using a little more considering his car is probably a bit heavier than mine, and also is an auto. Though, I think he's exagerating his usage a little.

Lano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1
DeanoVT said:
o2 sensors are about $130 each from holden i was quoted.
thats alot of money

Try Repco / Autopro. I recently replaced both of mine on my mechanics advice, and the RRP on them was about $80 / $90 I think.

I drive a Series 1 VT, with factory fitted gas *cough* taxi *cough* ;)

The other week I filled up at the BP next to Calder Park, and got the 120km home (through the city) without the needle moving off full. According to the trip computer, I still had another 690km left it in. And I can normally managed another 40km on top of that :D

It doesn't run as economically on petrol, and as my level sensor doesn't work, it just reads as empty anyway! lol!

I'm driving to Sydney to see Carl Barren :rofl: at the start of March, so I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can get on the one tank!

V

VX_KN079

There seem to be a lot of people not using full tanks of fuel... Only filling up with between 60 and 65 litres. Well use the hidden computer option on the trip computer to tell you EXACTLY how many litres are left.

Before you turn the key, hold down MODE and the UP arrow. Turn the key to on and then press MODE until it shows you the litres left.

I can get 1000km out of a tank of 91 RON fuel in my VX Series 1 Auto Commodore S V6 on the highway and about 600km around town.

No extra benefit from using 95 or 98 RON fuel as you need to change compression ratios, adjust spark plugs and get it dyno'd first. And I couldn't be bothered. Had the car since August '02 and am getting a VE when they come out in September :)

owt551

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8
trip computer options

VX_KN079 said:
Well use the hidden computer option on the trip computer to tell you EXACTLY how many litres are left.

Before you turn the key, hold down MODE and the UP arrow. Turn the key to on and then press MODE until it shows you the litres left.
After doing this in my VT I got water temp, volts, litres left, litres/h and other data I didn't understand. Can anyone expand on what read outs are?