Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fastest Stock commodore ever made??

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VNBOY

holden#1 said:
VN/VP's are quicker than VS's or any other stock 6 (bar 190 alloytec) even though the weight difference between VN & VS is only approx 70 - 80kg (VN 1310kg - VS 1387kg execs) and VS have 147kw ecotec. i believe the reasons are:

1. Auto's calibration. Later autos were made to be smoother which seemed to soak up power from the engine so to speak.
2. Ecotec was designed to provide a much more progressive power output, even though peak power came at the same 4,800(approx). Vn's have more punch down low. This is helped by tranny's habits.

yotaman, i think you're in with a good chance - bear in mind that vq statesmans weighs over 100kg more than exec. depends on how tired your car is too i spose...

VS's have electronic transmission as opposed to the mechanical one in previous cars.

you will find ecotecs have more power in the top end section, and i know that because my friends VX beats me top end ( used to) all the time.

im still in favour of the VS unless anyone has some figures for me.

V

vp manual wagon

Yeah, 15.1 figures for a 5 speed these days sounds a bit sus, maybe 12 years ago... Lowered the torque??? Hmmmm
As stupid as this comment is, and how I may be flamed, I'm considering turbocharging my vp in January, when I have a spare few grand to spend, but leaving it 100% stock on the outside.. I plan on getting a small turbo (aparantly high compression is best matched with a smaller garret turbo), and a small intercooler, just to compensate for a lack of torque the v6 sometimes produces...and because I'm young and foolish.
I find the idea of turbocharging a lot more appealing than supercharging, but everyones got their soft spots

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
from an owner of a VS V6 auto... stock VN, VP against stock VS or any other commodore 6 (excluding 190 alloytec), VN & VP will blow everything away. I know this from experience. also all the factory figures show this to be technically correct also. with several mods i.e CAI, exhaust i can now be a couple of car lengths ahead of stock VP in 0-100 dash. mind you, i am not talking about crapped out VN's / VP's that have been to the moon and back. Vn Boy, do you know the details of why 'electronic' transmission seems to lack the spike of earlier 'mechanical' trannys? when you say a stock VX beat you top end, do you mean at the end of 1/4 mile / 0-100 dash he beat you, or if you floored it at 80, say? cause i would understand if he beat you 80 - 200kph.

V

VNBLACKBETTY

VNBOY said:
i just thought about it, wouldnt the VS be quicker than a VP and a VN, its only 50 kg heavier and has approx 30 extra kW.
k kw means **** all if u dont have the torgue to take u there buddy vp's have better torque and rev limits

89S1 MANual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 89 S1 factory Manual buick
I have owned stock V6 Commodore ,2 VNs manual and auto ( currently still have 1 ) a VS,VT,VZ (also VX SS and currently have VE SS) by feel I would go in order VN VT VS and then the VZ which felt sluggish of the mark with the 3.6 compared to the 3.8s my son currently has a VE V6 and seems a little quicker than the VZ but still no mach for the 3.8s

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Really...

14 year thread dig for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.