Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty ECM or Stretched Timing Chain?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Not yet. You'll never guess what but you'll guess what. The yhasi Bluetooth connector won't connect to the Yhasi movipro on the Mac.

Getting oil light warning chime cutting in and out as if the ECU is going all Find Dory and forgetting what it was warning me about halfway through its sentence.

Booked in to get timing chain done next week.

As for the VE code. An oil pressure sensor was playing up. Easy fix.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any update??

Replaced oil pressure sensor on VE. Also cleaned the MAF sensor. Forgot to plug that back in and was getting stability control warnings up. Just thought that was interesting. They stopped once I plugged the MAF back in

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
Mate mines the same right now. Occasionally not starting but when it does it runs fine. However, whe I put my foot down Check Powertrain pops up and it rattles and shakes like ####ing mad. If I drive gently for a minute it settles down though. Also, taking off from from the lights it feels a little shaky. Once I get some speed up its smooth again but yeah. I figured it was the diff for that last problem, and stretched timing chain causing the error popping up and rattling when hitting higher revs. As for the not starting well sometimes, I put it down to a dodgy starter motor. After reading this I guess it could be the ECM? It's going to my mechanic next week but I might use my boss's Tech 2 to suss it out first. I'll post results here.

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
Tech2 showed no faults at al, mechanic reckons that means its a stretched timing chain. Taking it to my old mechanic to double check. I had a fauly o2 sensor that caused something like this a while back, hopefully that's what it is this time.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Tech2 showed no faults at al, mechanic reckons that means its a stretched timing chain. Taking it to my old mechanic to double check. I had a fauly o2 sensor that caused something like this a while back, hopefully that's what it is this time.
Need a new mechanic....
timing chain will rattle badly on start up and throw codes for sure

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
I figured it'd rattle on start up and be consistently ****, he reckoned when it starts to go it just slaps a little sometimes. Lookin like it's more likely the o2 sensor then.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the front of the motor was taken off today by the workshop and the timing chain was stretched more than a politicians promise.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Well the front of the motor was taken off today by the workshop and the timing chain was stretched more than a politicians promise.

:rofl2: Comment of the day

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I might add that mine did not not make much noise, if any, on start up.
Chain was excessively stretched.
Car ran smooth after I picked it up, though today, was running with an unstable idle and not as much giddy up.

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
Mmm. Mine starts up fine, no rattle or anything.

Old mechanic said today that it was a problem with my LPG. Took it to the LPG guys and they said it was the coil packs and the reason no codes were being logged is the error has to persist for a few minutes for the computer to store it as an error. As for my occasional start up problems, it's an issue with the starter motor. So many different opinions! I'm gonna do the coil packs and if that doesn't fix it I'm ####ing it off for a VY.