Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First wash

waynebatt

Only milk should be 2L
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
a turtle would do fine. :banstick: might even be slightly faster

Don't buy a chamois they are the worst thing you can use, someone posted up what you should use. If you have problems contact Car Care Products on this forum and talk to them, they'll steer you in the right direction. 40k car ruined by a $4 chamois is the next thread.

Don't remember anyone saying to buy a $4 chamois...... i paid $27 for mine and used it for the first time on the weekend. Worked awesome, can't knock it at all....... Whether you call it a chamois or a towel it makes no difference. Just get a decent one and they'll both do a good job.....

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Don't remember anyone saying to buy a $4 chamois...... i paid $27 for mine and used it for the first time on the weekend. Worked awesome, can't knock it at all....... Whether you call it a chamois or a towel it makes no difference. Just get a decent one and they'll both do a good job.....

i'll just leave these here:

Why You Shouldn't Use A Chamois Leather To Dry Your Car | Car Cleaning Guru

Chamois For Drying Car

If people still choose to use chamois' that's there choice, I'm just trying to give out some helpful info that will save some heartache down the track.

perfectbluesv6z

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 Z
Thanx for all the info guys, will let you know about the chamois when i find it.

jesta83

Supercharged
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1.com.au
Members Ride
MY12.5 Blue Car

Not true, a proper microfibre towel will pick up the slightest bit of dirt, stopping you from micro marring/scratching your paint.
A chamois which is made of leather will simply drag it across your paint, thus scratching it.
But it seems some people will never change their old car washing habits, suppose you use a sponge to wash it too?
But then again its not my car, i offer my valid opinion on what IS BETTER from my experiences. So if you all wanna scratch up your nice
shiny new cars go right ahead.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Car Care Products how to guide for washing and drying your car

i would also add to the shopping list something like duragloss aquawax and/or duragloss fast clean and shine, and a good paint sealant like duragloss 105. this should see your newborn stay in the best condition.

ps. alot has changed with car paint since 71, so what worked back then wont be too good these days.

perfectbluesv6z

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 Z
Ok I get it. Time to jump into 2013 and i guess that film that forms on the inside of the windscreen is part of modern technology !! "Next" To canuba or not to canuba?

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
yep the film on the windscreen is the vapour that comes out of the meterials used on the dash, happens to nearly all cars these days.

to wax or not is a personal choice. a sealant will last longer and give a shiney finish where as a wax on that blue will make it a little darker and give the colour more depth, it wont last as long as a sealant. you can go the best of both worlds though, put one layer of duragloss 105 down then two or three layers of dodo juice purple haze wax. you could also swap duragloss 105 for duragloss 111 and put down two or three layers for more protection before putting down the wax.

purple ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ SS / 07 VE SS
Ok so we have sorted that out with the mirco fibre towel , what about to wash the car with ????? Sponge or some kind of cloth ????

Last edited:

perfectbluesv6z

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 Z
Good question you beat me to it, i used some blue S--- in an armorall bottle and after 2 dips with the cloth it lost all its suds. Said to use 3 caps full, i think i used about 250ml. Never again.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
anything ph neutral
dodo juice born to be mild
dodo juice supernatural
duragloss 901
optimum car wash
swissvax car bath

thats just to name a few good ones. you only need a tiny bit of these products to make a bucket up (dodo supernatural mixes at 1:1500)

hey perfect, it doesnt matter about the suds, its all about the lubrication in the wash mix, the slicker it is the less chance of wash induced swirls