Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting the adventra rear garnish to a vz wagon

Waylander81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT CALAIS SUPERCHARGED
Hi was wondering if I could get some input on wether a rear garnish of the adventra would bolt right on to the standard commodore wagon boot lid, or wether i should just buy the tailgate and fit it?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The rear tail gate is unique to Adventra.
The rear tail lights also.
They won't fit up.

Exogator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Executive wagon, VT Acclaim
If youve still got the car, buy the tailgate and fit it, you won't regret it one bit, the only bit I regret is not doing it sooner. Bit of messing around with the wiring, but it looks so damn good and the lift glass is the best bit

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
How did you wire up the window opener? Wiper just plug in the standard harness?

Exogator

Reaction score
Members Ride
How did you wire up the window opener? Wiper just plug in the standard harness?
You need to repin most of it, the boot release for the sedans works on the wagon, slap a boot button in, the bcm will see it, add a pin to the connector on the bcm and run it to the rear and there's your boot pop, wiper is a bit more difficult. The wagons bcm controls the stock wiper, the adventras boot controls its wiper, so in intermittent the commo wagon will pulse its signal wire making the wiper sweep, the adventra will instead feed a solid power signal, then the boot will see that and pulse the wiper for intermittent. I havnt got around to doing it yet but you need mod the stalk, you need to leave the wash fullspeed wire alone, it should be fine(I tested it so in theory *fingers crossed*) you need to bypass the intermittent wire from the bcmso the stalk directly feeds the boot wire, then your low fast, auto park and all your "glass is open don't power the wipers" bs will work.

Mines running in dumb mode ATM, my bcm pulses back to the boot, that pulses the boots module, so instead of wiping and parking on the glass mine wipes and parks... every swipe... but I rarely use my rear except to clear the dust so I usually only use a single flick anyway.

Boot wiring is a bit of a mish mash, you need to keep the original commo plugs and repin the addy bits to it, (you don't really but it works better than redoing all the connectors) you'll also need another 2 pin plug, for the boot release and reverse light feed, I forgot xD, most wires are 1 for 1 colour wise, the demist wires have a thicker plug on the addy, so you'll need to splice the original commodore demist wires.

Probably missed a tonne, I'm sleep deprived atm , need any more info I'll rip my trim off and have a look fo jog the memory, also the post that Fu Manchu added has photos of the finished product.

Oh yeah, you have to either cut the corners off the tailgate or get an addy bumper.

Reactions: Lex

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Thanks for that, I'm flat out changing a fuse let alone changing plugs and wiring. Mebe I'll just look for another garnish on the VZ

Reactions: Lex

Exogator

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll be honest, it seems like alot of work wiring wise, but atleast you have someone who can tell you what goes where, I had to get help on the forum from people who knew alot about both cars but not how to get 1 and 2 to work xD

It's alot easier than it seems, I've done another one already and that'll be getting installed on someone else's car as soon as they track down the missing bits for the tailgate (spoiler was snapped when I bought the 2nd gate)

The wiring could be done alot quicker and easier, I just didn't want to cannibalise the car side wiring, I hate pulling someone's mod out and seeing 5000 wires all over the shop with a bundled ball of unlabelled spade connectors, the way mines setup In probably 30 mins I could reinstall a stock tailgate with no wiring changes it'll all plug back in, it'll just need a new drivers side taillight loom as that where I took my reverse power from.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I'll be honest, it seems like alot of work wiring wise, but atleast you have someone who can tell you what goes where, I had to get help on the forum from people who knew alot about both cars but not how to get 1 and 2 to work xD

It's alot easier than it seems, I've done another one already and that'll be getting installed on someone else's car as soon as they track down the missing bits for the tailgate (spoiler was snapped when I bought the 2nd gate)

The wiring could be done alot quicker and easier, I just didn't want to cannibalise the car side wiring, I hate pulling someone's mod out and seeing 5000 wires all over the shop with a bundled ball of unlabelled spade connectors, the way mines setup In probably 30 mins I could reinstall a stock tailgate with no wiring changes it'll all plug back in, it'll just need a new drivers side taillight loom as that where I took my reverse power from.
I'm thinking of replacing my vt tailgate.
I've been watching the thread you did for this upgrade to a vz?

Can you give me a link to your thread on how to do this please. If you can, thanks in advance.

Exogator

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm thinking of replacing my vt tailgate.
I've been watching the thread you did for this upgrade to a vz?

Can you give me a link to your thread on how to do this please. If you can, thanks in advance.
I'll have to do a type up I guess,

I'm guessing (after the many hours I looked for some) that 99% of the info about the swap is everything we worked out on that post of mine.

Not sure wiring wise what the vt has back there, might be the same might not,