Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Formula holden buick based v6's

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
pasting most of this from another thread a month or so ago.

-----------------------

lets see what i can remember without grabbing out my sc magazine with all the info

stock block
stock intake
stock tb
stock coilpack
stock ecu with crap restricted tune(not allowed to change, can swap ecus with another team at any time to keep it fair), motor was also built to this tune, not tune to the motor
huuuuge cam
1.8 roller rockers
heads ported to the max, big as possible valves
massive long extractors
forged rods and pistons(i think)

thats all i can remember, huge cam and crap tune made it hard to idle or crawl around in.

Index of /1/formula

most of the pics in that link are probably the same as what greenfoam posted earlier.

these are the scans of the article in the mag

http://lowagz.sytes.net/1/formula/formula_1.jpg
http://lowagz.sytes.net/1/formula/formula_2.jpg
http://lowagz.sytes.net/1/formula/formula_3.jpg
http://lowagz.sytes.net/1/formula/formula_4.jpg
http://lowagz.sytes.net/1/formula/formula_5.jpg

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
From the paper on the early development version (285hp@6500rpm, 340Nm/250ftlb@5000rpm):

10:1 via pistons
Inlet valves: 43.4mm => 44.7mm.
Standard inlet manifold and throttle body, the manifold only ported to match the (ported) heads.

Heads: + 66% flow on inlet ports.

Cam:
Inlet: open @ 44BTDC, close @ 76 ABDC, 13.7mm lift
Exhaust: open @ 76 BBDC, close @ 44 ATDC, 13.7mm lift
Figures @ 0.5mm lift. It's unclear whether the lift figure is at the valve or cam.
Solid cam followers, non-roller type to avoid uncovering the oil galleries for the standard roller type. I recall another mag. article somewhere where it said the block had to be machined to allow the cam to fit through the bearing holes (also = larger cam bearings).
Leaded Falcon 6 injectors @ standard fuel pressure.

Exhaust: 510mm primaries and secondaries ~ 600mm, kept separate.

Stuff to help it live:
Uprated (Carillo) con rods.
Balance shaft deleted and flywheel and balancer altered to suit that and the heavier pistons and 'rods.
Standard crank.

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
wow you guys found alot more than i did, they sure are a pretty serious engine.

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
thanx everyone for showing some interest and posting up what you found i;ve found it very interested and has given me some ideas, i hope some other people have gotten something outa this so far too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
lol, if you have a manual VN, fit a big as cam and let it scream. there is a some control class where they race VN's against falcons. they run stock engines with exhaust, cam, tune etc and they make good power. there is a link somewhere on this site to the info

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Does any one know who supplied the pistons they used in these motors? they made the engines have a 10.5:1 compresiion ratio piston or 10:1 (i keep finding conflicting info)I can find a few places that supply 9.5:1 pistons but not the higher ones, maybe im just not searchin very well?

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
one determining factor of the formula holden engine combo is the fact that you need to drive it between about 4500-7000 rpm where the torque is made "crashing is most likely" try driving that in start stop traffic useless! even a mild to hot cam can be a pig sometimes .I havnt ever owned many cars that I havnt pulled the stock cam out and put a lumpy one in.some you can feel the lope of the cam doing 80kmh in forth gear can become a pain in the butt.

Matchport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Ute
Hi, I'm new to this, I'm working on a supercharge V6 at this stage we are getting 393 whp this is at 17 psi of boostten rib belt is slipping, i'll change this to a gilmore drive set up. Are there any more out there doing the same we can compare info, looking foward to hear from someboby out there.

Regrds Ron

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi, I'm new to this, I'm working on a supercharge V6 at this stage we are getting 393 whp this is at 17 psi of boostten rib belt is slipping, i'll change this to a gilmore drive set up. Are there any more out there doing the same we can compare info, looking foward to hear from someboby out there.

Regrds Ron

i haven't seen anyone running that many PSI from a charger on this site. is it a stock botom end? what make of charger? there are a couple of guy's on the street commodores site with similar intake presures although they are on turbo setups. that some serious power from a 6

Matchport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Ute
No the crank is a 4340 steel with 5.7 h beam rods and Forged pistons comp is 8.2 /1 supercharger is a T Trim all with 3 " piping and a intercooler. the power drops off when belt start to slip at 5500 rpm