Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel gauge error, Service vehicle soon.

Timboy

Never been pulled over!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Berlina
I drive an 04 Berlina and my fuel gauge has been out for some time. This in turn has thrown out the distance to empty reading on the dash. I typically rely on the fuel used counter as it appears to be the most accurate, only being out by a couple of litres here or there. However I have never received a message telling me that I have a fuel gauge error, so you may be in a different boat to me on this one.

As for the service vehicle soon message, I have had my car flip out at me once or twice when i've tried to start it and it's thrown me that message but they have been one-off occurences quite spaced out from one another, with no ensuing problem apparent.

Hope that helps
Tim

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
these phantom messages might be signs that the computer is on the way out. The exact same thing happened to a friend: new 'puter cost $1,100.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I actually had this exact problem about 4 days ago and it never went away, so it stopped me from being able to start the car.

Auto Electrician wouldn't do anything, took to Holden, 30 minutes of having it they called me stating the ECU was completely stuffed, $1050 thanks.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I hope for your sake this problem is gone.

Mine started as once offs, this error would popup but would disappear for 1 or 2 days then return.. within 4 days it progressed from once offs to the point the car wouldnt start and the ECU was stuffed and got replaced at $1050.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Had a car with this exact issue on Friday, couldnt communicate with the ECU using the scan tool so started checking all the wiring, undid the connectors to the ECU etc and when I put it back together it stopped faulting. Could be something as simple as a bad connection at the ECU and unplugging then replugging the connectors cleans the terminals up and fixes it.

Worth a try if you have this issue otherwise it could well need an ECU.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I also have a 19 year old commodore, bought 16 years ago, NEVER had a problem with the ECU, I wonder why Holden build cars that even they can't pin point a fault and when you go to another mechanic they simply don't have the correct tool so you must go to Holden. Oh and "only" $1050 ??? why don't they charge $5000? might as well, we need it to make the car go.:-(

ECUs arent cheap and it takes time to diagnose electrical faults which also costs money in labour. But hey we could work for free and lose money by selling you parts cheaper than what they cost us right? At least youd be happy then!