Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel pump died.

RMG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LX8 Adventra
hi all, I was cruising down the Hume in my LX8 when it just died.
The fuel pump fuse had blown, replaced it, the car started and then blew the fuse within a few seconds. I'm guessing the fuel pump has given up although one of my mates thought there could be an issue with the oil pressure switch, being faulty? He thought it may supply power to the pump and to ask about that before replacing the fuel pump. Does that make any sense?

Thanks

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
hi all, I was cruising down the Hume in my LX8 when it just died.
The fuel pump fuse had blown, replaced it, the car started and then blew the fuse within a few seconds. I'm guessing the fuel pump has given up although one of my mates thought there could be an issue with the oil pressure switch, being faulty? He thought it may supply power to the pump and to ask about that before replacing the fuel pump. Does that make any sense?

Thanks
There is a fuel pump relay and the boil of this relay would be connected through the oil pressure switch so the relay opens if oil pressure is lost. If it's the oil pressure switch just take out the fuel pump relay and jumper the power side sockets that supply the pump with 12 volts. See if it blows the fuse then. If it does then it's probably the pump or a damaged wire to the pump which is earthing. To check wire disconnect pump and remove relay then use an ohm meter to check between the wires and earth.

Faisal Khan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevy Lumina
My vehicle was driving heavy and stalling...i self diagnosed it as fuel delivery issue and finally narrowed down to fuel pump..replaced it and bam...engine is roaring...