Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fully synthetic.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
most of them are bascially the same, to save costs you should buy the oil instead of the mechanic having to do it, ive always used Nulon Oils and havnt had any trouble

good luck mate

click on my link above and read the little section down the bottom of the page regarding Castrol vs Mobil in US. I won't type it all out again, but there is some differences people should be aware of. I've always used mobil on the normal daily driver cars, and Penrite for the track.

i should ad however, older turbo engines may not like synthetic... gets past the seals and could make a big mess in the engine bay or at very least puddles on your driveway. as such, my Penrite oil is mineral based... the old turbo much prefers it.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
what will a holden service/dealer put in your car if you dont specify to use synthetic?

VYIISSUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE
Synthetic

At a guess id say a 10w-30 or 10w-40, definetly NOT synthetic if you don't specifiy

Last edited:

VYIISSUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE
Hi,
I'm still trying to work out this whole oil thing myself. :help: I think it really depends on the individauls driving needs as to which oil is best suited for you.

Here's some good reading on understanding oils a bit better. There are many good links within to some good info.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/just-commodores-polls/75801-engine-oil.html

Mobil1 and Castrol Edge Sport are good "common" fully synthetic oils which to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) are made from PAO basestocks.

As to which thickness to use is highly debateable. :boxing:
The Holden manual reccomends you use a 5w-30 oil but many people suggest a thicker oil, especially if you have had any mods done to your car. I'm still not sure which is the best.

So in the meantime I'm sitting on the fence and going to try out castrol edge sport 0w-40 on Monday in my car. My reasoning is that I want an oil that is thin enough for some protection at cold starts and slightly thicker at operating temperatures than what Holden suggests.

The manual has a temperature guide, all ya need to determine is the maximum temp for your area and conditions, both hi and low temps are important. As for synthetic and mineral, depends on how often you want to rebuild ur engine and if ur keeping the car for a long peroid of time.

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
I also use Mobil 1.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
According to a mate who works for the holden dealer near me they use Mobil 1 in HSV's 10w/30 and castrol Magnatec 10w40 in all other vehicles.
From what I've read on the subject once you start using Synthetic oil for the sake of your seals you should never stop using it.
Engine seals/rubbers etc react differently between full synthetic and straight mineral or blended oils.
I use Nulon 10w/40 full synthetic in my 100Kklms LS2 and have had no problems and use about 1/2 litre between 5k oil changes.
I have just fitted an Elite catch can so it will be interesting to see how much that catches.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Use whatever the book says. More and more modern cars are starting to use synthetics because they can go longer between service intervals, but in terms of protection on a daily driver, it's much of a muchness.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Thanks for all the feedback here guys, appreciated.

Had the car serviced with Mobil 1 fully synthetic.

It's what my dealer recommended to me.

Mind you $360.00 all up for a 15000km service was a bit of a hit in the back pocket. The oil was $128.00

But it's done for another 15000km.

Thanks once again.

Cheers.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Thanks for all the feedback here guys, appreciated.

Had the car serviced with Mobil 1 fully synthetic.

It's what my dealer recommended to me.

Mind you $360.00 all up for a 15000km service was a bit of a hit in the back pocket. The oil was $128.00

But it's done for another 15000km.

Thanks once again.

Cheers.

Gee they really stung you for the oil, mobil 1 usually around $70-80 per 6 litres at retail, most of the time if you shop smart you can pick it up on special around the traps for around $60+

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
It cost me about $67 for 9 quarts.