Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

G-Techd

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
last night i tryed my car out using a gtech i managed a 16.82 but i dont get it. i can bet my mates 318is bmw in a drag and he can run 15.63, so how come my et time would b slower?
the air temp was 22 degrees last night so it was fairly cool

blue alliance

Reaction score
Website
www.cruisingmackay.com
Members Ride
98 VT S pack Supercharged/ 77 Datsun 260z Rb20det
Was the G-Tech properly calibrated for both cars?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
theres too many variables with it. Road condition, weather, even down to driver ability. only way to really see, is have both cars at the track on the same day, then swap drivers and work out the differences.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
the mate off mine drove my car and got that time and hes the bmw owna
if i tryd i would xpect beta time coz im more use to mine car

blue alliance

Reaction score
Website
www.cruisingmackay.com
Members Ride
Were you both using the same G tech unit. Did you recalibrate between the 2 cars. Ie Weight ( Means taking your car to a public weigh bridge) and was the unit mounted corectly. Do you think that both cigerette lighter sockets are working properly (ie no neon lights or double adaptors.)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
blue alliance said:
Were you both using the same G tech unit. Did you recalibrate between the 2 cars. Ie Weight ( Means taking your car to a public weigh bridge) and was the unit mounted corectly. Do you think that both cigerette lighter sockets are working properly (ie no neon lights or double adaptors.)

yah same unit 94 model,
and i dont think it needs ur cars weight coz its only got 1/4, 0-60 and hp features theres no advance features,

u mention neon ive got 1 in the boot should i disconnect that and my amp or would this have no affect

need some quick help or ideas goin 2 try again tonight

blue alliance

Reaction score
Website
www.cruisingmackay.com
Members Ride
Yeah i say Neon cause some of these things can piggy back into the lighter socket. Also if it doesn't require the calibration (ie weight input) then that might be why the readings aren't so accurate. From memory the good ones require a bit of calibration.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You crazys :p
You do not need to weigh anything to get an accurate reading on a g tech, all you need is a flat bit of road and something to stick it on. It works on g forces, accereration through time and all that. The onyl time you need to weigh the car is to read rwhp but that comes with wind resistance so will be much less than on a dyno, My almsot stock Lexcen V6 has a best rwhp of 134 in second gear on the g tech which is about 150-160 rwhp without the wind. somewhere near 120 rwkw... or almost 200hp at the flywheel which is about right for the 15.37 @ 91 mph it can run.

Anyway for a VL non turbo? you could maybe get down to 16.4? I don't really know but they are no where near as fast as a VN/VP. Not sure about the BMW but I don't think BMW like to make slow cars so 15.63 sounds fair enough

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
greenfoam said:
Anyway for a VL non turbo? you could maybe get down to 16.4? I don't really know but they are no where near as fast as a VN/VP. Not sure about the BMW but I don't think BMW like to make slow cars so 15.63 sounds fair enough
u sure ive bet a vn executive auto

i dont just under stand i can beat him in a drag (start leaving him in second gear bout 2 car lengths when hit bout 100kmph)
but 1/4 time is wierd

.............BMW 318IS..........5SPD BLNA
DRAG.........loses...................win
1/4 time......15.63.................16.82

WTF i just cant figger it out :ranting:
(Mate did both the 1/4 mile times) could b mines slower coz hes not use to a lower class car ( :rofl: ). next week i will try it 4 my self as last night i couldnt SMASA cruze was on

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You might have beat a VN Auto, but it was either stuffed or at half throttle :), I'll promise you they can all do sub 16 seconds anytime anywhere if they have traction and are working properly (and manualy shifted from second to third) do that and a good VN auto will run 15.5 all day.

If your car is quicker than a stock VL and your mate can't shift manuals fast or lost traction on the launch then you can loose more than a second from those things easily.. so you better test it yourself If my VN gets wheelspin for even 10 meters I'll run slower than 16 seconds, get 100% traction and it will be under 15.4, it makes a big difference