Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas Converted VT

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
for comparison, my lpg v6 vx does 9.6L/100km at 110km/h....on a recent trip up the hume, which is about to spec. It comes up with something like 600+km to empty.
City traffic varies from 13-16L/100km

VT97CALAIS

VT-Best Holden shape!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 S1 VT Calais /A4
commsirac - sounds like you have a very efficient LPG system
what type is yours?
Mine is an Impco mixer type setup. How many k's has your car done, and have u replaced the oxy sensors recently?

Cheers,
VT97Calais

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
its the fact mixer system and has 160000km on it. Oxy sensors need replacing, ok when it is warm, but let it chew too much fuel when cold.

sportyclansman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Ive had a Lavato wet injected system in my VT for 3 years now. Its fantastc! I got a donut tank fitted in the spare wheel well, so I now have my spare tyre in a double side tyre cover with hook velcro on the underside so it does'nt move around in the boot. I think the donut tank holds between 55 - 60 litres (depending on temperatures). I can get from Alexandra to Christchurch, just on a tank (about 550 Klms me thinks) No power difference at all. It cost about $4500 at the time, I think mine was one of the first in a VT in NZ.

azdysb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Had the VT on gas now for a few months and I'm still sitting on the fence about whether it was a good move or not. Power difference isn't noticeable and filling up is certainly way better for the dollars. My concerns are this:
1) Trouble with rough running at the start and after a couple of returns was asked (to ensure warranty would be void) to do various fixes (incl new leads, plugs, etc)...that was an extra $600.
2) Not all the time but regularly enough to be annoying the engine light comes on...the car is expecting petrol & goes "WTF"?? So the light comes on. If you hit the manual overide button and force petrol thought the light turns off; but it's just something that shouldn't happen.
3) They had to cut my petrol tank cap to make access easier & now it's somewhat loose..could I be losing petrol through evap because of this?
4) The odd weird thing like bad running or even transmission issue once - turn the car on/off & fine again - but none of this ever happened when the VT was just on petrol.

If I get a few good years out of it it will be a good story but should the valves or something expensive go then for sure I'll be blaming the gas & saying it was a bad decision. I better just enjoy the cost savings on fuel in the interim.

Undecided for me.

no1holdenfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S PACK
had mine done around april this year. $2500 - $2000 rebate. best thing ive done. make sure the spark plugs are replaced. it takes a while to get used to the mix but once u get it retuned its good. theres a noticable power loss but you can always switch over to petrol for the lights ;).

Seriously, itll save you so much money but you need to make sure you service it regularly etc.

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
had mine done around april this year. $2500 - $2000 rebate. best thing ive done. make sure the spark plugs are replaced. it takes a while to get used to the mix but once u get it retuned its good. theres a noticable power loss but you can always switch over to petrol for the lights ;).

Seriously, itll save you so much money but you need to make sure you service it regularly etc.

Anyone noticed any problems with your rear shocks dealing with the excess weight?

My FE2 suspension seems to creak alot since i have had the 95L tank installed..

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Anyone noticed any problems with your rear shocks dealing with the excess weight?

apparently the fact impco system has stiffer rear springs inserted as part of the kit, dont know about the shocks.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001

I installed heavy duty rear kings purely for the 96litre tank on my VX. On 18inch rims and standard height, was still causing my wheels to rub out.