Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Geelong to Cairns drive

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I'd fly it if that's an option for you.

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
I'd fly it if that's an option for you.
I have never driven any further from Sydney than Canberra or The Gold Coast. I would love to do an epic road trip across several states, but as Commo Baba suggested. flying is so cheap now and driving isn't so I don't know if I'll ever get to do it. :(
Best of luck with your drive camfraser.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
hose clamps and fuses :p and some misc bolts and nuts on top of what ari started with.

and eggs are for the radiator i assume when it springs a leak.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I have never driven any further from Sydney than Canberra or The Gold Coast. I would love to do an epic road trip across several states, but as Commo Baba suggested. flying is so cheap now and driving isn't so I don't know if I'll ever get to do it. :(
Best of luck with your drive camfraser.

Sadly this is true. Me and my partner looked into driving to QLD instead of flying and even in my V6 wagon, petrol was estimated at pretty much the same as the cost of the airfares. And that's before you add in accommodation, food, wasted annual lave etc.

Also I have used the egg trick myself and will vouch for it. the trick is to run the car for 10 minutes, just enough to make it warm, not hot. then put only the egg whites into the radiator, put the cap back on and run for another ten minutes, then let the car sit for an hour.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
A little of topic, I was planning a trip from sydney to perth one way just recently.
euro car wanted $3500.00 for a sv6 for 7 days. And thats NOT Including fuel.
I would definitely fly, unless you specifically wanted to do a driving holiday.
A satellite phone would be a good idea, chances are if you do break down, it will be in the middle of no where...
also a spare headlight globe or two. A good quality torch, 8+ litres of drinking water and a blanket.
also be carefull driving at dusk/dawn and at night. The roo's do serious damage if you hit one with out a bull bar.

we did the drive syd - perth about 14 years ago in a vh sle.
the ring gear on the flex plate lost about 20 teeth and left us stranded. Lucky we were driving a common car and a mechanic had us on our way the next afternoon.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
depending on where you stay and all the other extras drivig can be worth it.
if as above has said withthe cost of the car, if you were going away for a month tht would certainly add up

the bonus is the places you get to see.

have just done Melbourne to mildura. So not too far (6hrs with stops)
ifyou have time i wouldnt drive more than 6hrs a day (ifon your own), it is tiring especially if it is as dead straight as these roads arear
another thing to consider is a driving buddy or passengers
definately good to have someone to talk to along the way.
even better when it is a family member that has done alot of travel and can tell you some info about many places you go through.

i know next year ill most likely be doing melb to bris driving.
might have to get a big atlas of aus and start highlighting it like the grandparents of roads they have travelled. Tis amazing when most roads in aus are coloured in

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I have the advantage of being retired, so time is not as precious to me.
But I'm on a fixed income, so I have to get value for my dollars.
I drive from Darwin to Melbourne twice each year, and return.
At Xmas, I take the family, and we are on the road for six weeks; the other trip is solo, usually four weeks.

If you have passengers, the cost equation swings in favour of the car.

Big advantages of the drive:
leave when you're ready - no rush to the airport; no hanging around; probably more luggage.
Stop where and when you want - have a good look around in places that interest you.
When you get to destination, you have a car - no need to hire.

Plus - and this is very personal - I actually like driving, and pic-nicking under a shady tree, or counter-lunching in country pubs.

It is possible to be frugal with accommodation - I have had great results through Wotif.com.au, and there are other site.

I don't understand people who spend a lot of money to buy a lovely car, then more money on gadgets - but hardly ever take it out on the highway.
I have an Omega, I spend money on good tyres and preventive maintenance, and I enjoy my drives, and I try to pick a different way home for each trip.

What to take - plenty of drinking water; and keep your phone charged - I use a car-charger. I take an esky - 44 litre is ample for the family. In some parts of Australia, the food on the highway isn't much better than roadkill, so I get a chook and the other components for sandwiches.

There are many, many wonderful places between Geelong & Cairns. If you go in warm weather, you can have a swim at beautiful beaches.