Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting 120 Learner Hours

SCANDZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Hours

How to get the 120 Hours,

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
You do all the driving, even if its a short trip, its better then nothing.

By the time I was ready to get my P's, I went to VicRoads with 400 hours worth of driving recorded in my log book, for about 8 months I didn't bother filling out the log book so I probably could have gotten to 500 hours. The advantage was that I live in Ballarat and work in Yarraville with my dad. I used to drive everyday (except Sunday).

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I drove to Sydney... that got the numbers up

aZk.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
You do all the driving, even if its a short trip, its better then nothing.

By the time I was ready to get my P's, I went to VicRoads with 400 hours worth of driving recorded in my log book, for about 8 months I didn't bother filling out the log book so I probably could have gotten to 500 hours. The advantage was that I live in Ballarat and work in Yarraville with my dad. I used to drive everyday (except Sunday).

400 hours?...holy sh**, lol. I was off my P's just before this mandatory logging of hours came in, I had my P's for a year 30th december to 21st december the next year, theres no way I clocked up 120. Sure it would have been good to get more hours but it's not just how many hours it's also the variation of conditions...should be driving rain, hail or shine. I was completely confident in my own driving by the time I went for my license and passed with 100% score, others however...no matter how many hours they do still seem to be horrible drivers.

Back in melbourne where I used to live (near box hill/doncaster)....excuse the stereotype but it's 100% true, there were alot of asian drivers and I swear every day I would see them do something completely oblivious that almost/did cause an accident. So in summary...good drivers will be good drivers and bad drivers may improve...but most likely will always be bad drivers, best advice I can give you is whenever you go out with your family you take those keys and say "I need my 120..then when I get my P's you will never have to drive me anywhere", should do the trick.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
It's not that hard to get 120 hours. Even easier if you live in NSW where 1 hour with an instructor is equal to 3 with anybody else up to 30 hours. This means you're down to 90 hours over the course of your year or under 2 hours a week over the course of a year.

I did, on average a 1 to 1 and a half hour proper "lesson" on a weekend with smaller drive throughout the week. We might have stretched a quick run to the shops to a 10 minute trip around town. Do this over the course of a year and 120 hours isn't that hard to accrue. I even got 30 night hours.

Something worth noting-If you are in NSW, do the 80 km speed limit. All going faster means is you get there quicker and it takes less time to do the trip.

Davesvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
S VZ Utility
God I love Perth so far behind every other state, 25 hours and a 6 month wait.

Besides don't most people fake their hours these days? It's what all the cool kids are doing I here!