Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

getting more torque off the line in an ecotec?

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Have you not seen wat pro-flow did to that poor old vs with 350,xxx km on the clock.
They got upwards of 20psi before it shat itself. IMO thats bloody awesome for a n/a engine

He did say "handles boost well", implying reliability, not "grenades at 20PSI".

But honestly, to all you idiots in here talking crap, the OP asked for info on getting more torque off the line for an ECOTEC, not advice telling him to buy a ford, either answer his question or dont post at all.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
He did say "handles boost well", implying reliability, not "grenades at 20PSI".

dead right mate the was my point lol anyone thats stupid enough to run 20psi on a engine that age stock is a fool anyway lol

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Pretty sure the ecotec doesn't have a bellmouth like the buicks.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
gears, 3.45 for a manual or 3.7's for a auto. i have 3.45's and have noticed no increase in fuel consumption from just the gears. then i'd throw some mace rockers at it as well as the spacer/insulator.

really depends on what you wanna spend.

can i ask why it sucks a lot of gas? who did the tune? and how much fuel does it actually use?

for those in the know, there certainly are better injectors out there then what comes in the buicks and ecotecs

the ecotec doesn't run a bell mouth, however it does have some issues with mixture variation over some cylinders

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
can i ask why it sucks a lot of gas? who did the tune? and how much fuel does it actually use?

for those in the know, there certainly are better injectors out there then what comes in the buicks and ecotecs

delcowizzid tune , its ok on the highway i usually fill up and ill get 360kms highway driving then about another 80 around town before the light flashes.
city driving it guzzles like a pig on about 100km per 15 - 16 litres , with a bit of a heavy foot.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
seems high for highway use. my missus gets about 400km's a tank around town and she's got a heavy foot:D

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
If you want low end tourqe then get your self a VN with a SII motor, the ol Buicks have a gut load of punch off the mark especially if they have been performanced tuned etc.
But generally speaking if you want heaps of low end tourqe the you'll need to spend money. and if your pulling apart your engine for rockers, or getting diff gears etc, then you may as well charge your engine, or find a smashed commo with a charged engine still in it that's still in good condition and do a swap...

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
I would put a bored throttle body on there for a quick increase in low down throttle response. Rockers help a little down low. More so in the mid/top end of the rev range. Unsure of the manifold insulators but theoretically speaking the spacer should give you more low down torque.

Cams will increase your power in the top end and lower the power in the low rpm range. Not something you want to do in this thread.

Porting the plenum chamber helps. Colder plugs help too.

Diff gears are good. Generally i've seen an increase of 500rpm for every .5:1 ratio change ie. 3.08:1 to 3.45:1 Cruising at 100km in 5th manual went from 1800rpm to 2200-2300rpm. That's on cruise though not 1st through 4th where the difference is more pronounced.